6 replies to this topic

#1 kevin the chicken

kevin the chicken

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 802 posts
  • Car type:16v vauxhall series 7, Sylva Leader with Pinto

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:27 AM

Anybody had any experience using a pressurised sand blasting pot as opposed to the siphon Type? They are supposed to deliver a better performance than the siphon but I have heard they are quite air hungry.
I have a 5hp compressor but it only has a 100 litre tank on it and I am wondering if I would need a new compressor too.
I am hopefully taking delivery of a new tractor which needs blasting and I want to do it myself rather than get somebody else to do it. It only has a tin bonnet which I can remove, the rest is flat thick sheet steel which should be straightforward to do.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 florin metal works

florin metal works

Hants & Dorset Area Secretary

• Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts
  • Car type:2B+

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:15 PM

Are you sure your compressor is 5 HP ?   That would be one powerful beastie --- 3 phase job?   If so it should deliver around 22/23 cfm  ( 600 litres/minute )

If I've calculated correctly you will have no trouble grit blasting your tractor.

#3 kevin the chicken

kevin the chicken

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 802 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:50 PM

Well I thought it was, I'd better check as it is only 240 volt. Wouldn't be the first mistake I've made

#4 florin metal works

florin metal works

Hants & Dorset Area Secretary

• Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts
  • Car type:2B+

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:17 PM

Max on 230 volt ( we are le continent voltage now ) is 3 Hp  & around 14 cfm, but expect the 13 amp plug-top fuse to blow occasionally.

Will be enough for a reasonable run at blasting, but give up & wait for compressor to catch up when it cuts in.

And NO wander leads to supply your compressor unless heavy duty ( 4 mm csa ) & run completely un coiled.

#5 Mrbarry

Mrbarry

Getting there Builder

• RHOCaR 17
  • 56 posts
  • Car type:GBS Zero

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:05 AM

I have a 5.5hp single phase sompressor. 250L Ingersol Rand two stage job. Its not on a plug top however its hard wired into a local isolator. Not good if you want portable but its ideal for mains air pipes around my garage. I used to spray and needed reliable air. Now its just a posh way to inflate tires. I did ask for three phase to my house years ago but red tape and cost put me off lol.

#6 Dave R

Dave R

Wheely good builder!

• 2,300 posts
  • Car type:2b passed sva may 05.pillars removed june 10. duratec power june 2012

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:17 AM

get someone else to do it.... its not a lot of money, and saves sweeping up afterwards

if you do decide to do it, i have a few bags of blast media, yours for a few bottles of beer

#7 kevin the chicken

kevin the chicken

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 802 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:51 PM

I don't do sweeping up, there's half an acre for it to get lost in. I just want to have a go myself that way it should be done to my satisfaction and there are bits I don't want done which I can trust myself to leave. Taking it to bits is not really an option as a lot of it is really heavy duty stuff, either quarter or half inch steel plate. The whole thing weighs between 5.5 and 8.5 tons depending on whether it is fully ballasted and I suspect it may be at least partly. Haven't had chance to look underneath yet. I may take you up on those bags of media but it certainly won't be until the spring. Too cold out there,brrrrrrrr. Cheers dave.