Bleeding Cooling System

richardm6994

The rover v8 cooling system that I'm using has a 2 small air locks which I've not been able to design out. 1 air lock is in the electric pump and the other air lock is in the cover plate where the original water pump was mounted.

I also know that getting rid of these air locks when filling up with coolant will be a swine.

I'm wondering if I could use a hand-held brake bleeder connected to the rad overflow to create a vacuum in the cooling system to pull out these air that gets trapped?

Having an electric water pump, I could run this to agitate the collant whilst pulling a vacuum to help the air to make it's way out of the rad.

Do you think this would this work?

BSP tapped plug in your blanking plate Rich to cure 1 issue.

I used to fill my rear mounted rad motor with the hosepipe under pressure.

I made a hoselok connector onto an old rad cap. ;)

At lower pressure there will be less air mass,but not by much as your bleed kit only pulls a partial vacuum. Is it possible to leave the pump loose so it leaks slightly as the system is filled?

At lower pressure there will be less air mass,but not by much as your bleed kit only pulls a partial vacuum. Is it possible to leave the pump loose so it leaks slightly as the system is filled?

Yeah, that's what I'm planning on doing when filling the system. Just voicing an idea so I have a plan b up my sleeve

Guest Ian & Carole

it's shocking what an ebay search of vacuum pumps brings up!!!!

Not if you are a breast feeding Mum. :rofl: :air_kiss: :shok:

Back on topic now :sorry: is it possible to spin the electric pump up in an attempt to purge the system ??

Might be "wrong tree up and barking" , never had any involvment with electric water pumps.