Build Sequence

Guest bensgrandad98

Guest bensgrandad98

As a complete newbie, can anyone please help to get me started on my 2B Plus. The one thing a numpty like me needs from the videos is a build sequence, I watched for nearly an hour on how to assemble two front suspension systems, neither of which I have, (Wish Bones) then on to the boot lids!!!! Having watched all videos several times I can't work out a sequence. I am thinking floor pan, rear suspension, front suspension, engine and gearbox, pedal box and brake servo unit, then steering. How am I doing?? :boohoo:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Battery Bill

John

Have a look at some of the websites out there between them all you will get a good idea which way you want to go (remember they are all different)

You are quite different in the first instance because I don't think many of us managed to stay awake through all the video's :lol: :lol:

Join the club, add your location details and get to some of your local meetings and when the show season begins get yourself along there and introduce yourself its fun.

:D :D

Guest Phil Slater

If you havn't done it already can I suggest you read some of the build diary's on the main site. I read through as many as I could find and found them really useful in deciding upon a build sequence and I'm grateful for those builders taking the time to share their experiences. At the end of the day those "pioneers" have "trod where no engineers have gone before". They have solved many of the problems and can help you avoid time consuming errors when planning your build.

HTH

Phil Slater

Guest TerryBarry
I am thinking floor pan, rear suspension, front suspension, engine and gearbox, pedal box and brake servo unit, then steering.

Sounds reasonable up to pedal box - fit but leave loose.

If you've got the RH four branch exhaust - it's a bit of a fiddle to get the steering shaft past the exhaust without it fouling.

You may have to move the steering column over to the right before it goes through the bulkhead to get clearance.

Guest ScotMac

I actually know nothing, but in general, i would think it would be best to do the brake lines and non-engine wiring before you do anything else...but is that obvious??? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Guest Battery Bill
but is that obvious???

Not really if you fit your wiring and brake lines what happens later on when you find that something else gets in the way, and where exactly do you put the wires and pipes?

No I would say get the car a rolling chassis and even get some of the panels on possibly even fit the engine before you start the other stuff

:D

Definately get a rolling chassis up and running - I then installed all the inner panels, plumbing and wiring (so much easier to access unless you are a gynaecologist)

When I was happy everything worked and the engine ran ok I started on the bodywork.

Guest ScotMac

Exactly (the comment about a l/w), if you wait too long to do the wiring and brake lines on a l/w, you may have substantial difficulty in getting to the areas you want to put it!!! ;-)

But, yes, grandad did say he was working on a 2b/plus!!! And, yes, i know nothing!!! ;)

Guest chris brown
Thats not going to work with a lightweight 
But the mans not asking about a lightweight. It’s a 2B he has and yes floor pan is a good start with the chassis upside down next the rear suspension then turn it over and fit the front suspension now it can be wheeled around. Next fit the engine/gearbox / diff and prop shaft. Then there are several ways to go but I fitted the panel behind the seats next as it is an awkward shape and one of the most difficult it get in. Then go for one side of the tunnel (not both sides as you will be putting the brake and fuel pipes plus the electrics down the tunnel and most people fasten them to one of the side panels.

Good luck with the build and don’t be afraid of asking questions on here you will invariably get several different answers as there is no definite way to build a Hood

Guest crwoodford

I know I am a new member of this fine establishment...and in such esteemed company, but having wached the 4 SUB K build videos at least 9 times. after transferring them to DVD and chapterising everything..... I feel confident in adding my three peneth.....

..... it is definitely the floor first installed along with the 1 inch angle iron crossmembers with chassis upside down, simply because once the Engine is in that will be impossible.

Next it is the Engine and Gearbox, once you have slotted the engine and gearbox in, you move the chassis on floor to engine not the other way round. (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG ON THIS, in which case the Engine and gearbox follows the next bit)

Fit the rear suspension and front suspension to give the rolling chassis.

Then with Engine and Gearbox in place, it's the exhaust manifold (temporarily) so you can position the offside panel correctly.... so that the 4 (or 2) exhaust pipes go through the side panel at the correct position...

I would not dare to presume what to suggest next.. I will leave that to the experts of which I am certainly glad we have many on RHOCAR.

Regards

Col.