Rear Brake Pipe

spg

Tried my local factors this weekend to get a off the self pipe with a bulkhead fitting at both ends, No luck. So im going to get one made, Just before I do can someone confirm its a 3/8 fitting I need

Tar

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Petemate

Hi Steve. That is very neat and professional layout. You have fixed the supports for the flexi/piping connections on the beam just like I did. The only thing I would comment on, (with the greatest respect!!) is there was a case some time ago of an inspector failing a car due to the three-way being bolted to the beam. The inspector claimed that the beam could move on its rubber mounts thereby giving a potential pipe fracture situation. Our intrepid builder spluttered "but the beam is also bolted rigidly to the chassis at each side next to the rubber mounts". The inspector was having none of it, and the builder had to come up with an alternative method, not sure what. In my case, I'm lucky as my handbrake cable support is mounted on the top of the diagonal chassis tubes, and I re-mounted the 3-way on that. It required some pretty dextrous fiddling with the long brake pipe, I can tell you: good thing it is copper rather than cupro-nickel. I can't send pics now as I'm at work (ha!) but I'll post a pic when I get home. Even though you have no handbrake strut there, you could presumably fashion something to mount the 3-way on independent of the beam.

Hope that helps and doesn't dismay too much....

Pete

P.S. I've just had another look at your pic, and you could easily just undo the 3-way mounting, tease it upwards and fit a strap across the chassis to mount it on. Probable loss of only about 20mm of boot floor space! Easy-peasy!

Thanks Petemate. Strewth - and I thought it was going to be OK now.

I understand what your saying but the problem is that if you're right, it would mean that the other ends of the two copper pipes would not be allowed to be mounted on the DeDion tube either???

I got this from Wikipedia: "A de Dion tube is an automobile suspension technology. It is a sophisticated form of non-independent suspension and is a considerable improvement over the alternative swing axle and Hotchkiss drive types. A de Dion suspension uses universal joints at both the wheel hubs and differential, and uses a solid tubular beam to hold the opposite wheels in parallel. Unlike an anti-roll bar, a de Dion tube is not directly connected to the chassis nor is it intended to flex. In suspension geometry it is close to the trailing beam suspension most recently seen on the front wheel drive Chrysler "K-cars", but without the torsional flexibility of that suspension."

Unless anyone else says this set-up is insufficient, I think (for the time being) I'm going to leave it as it is :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Guest Petemate

Steve - the pipes on the beam are OK, as they are no different in attachment to the ones at the other end of the flexis into the cylinders. I think the inspector was concerned over "work-hardening" of the piping just forward of the three-way.

Hope that is clear. I would take a chance, your set-up looks very well put together and the likelihood is he wont question it. Even iff he does, I KNOW you will make your boot floor easily removeble just in case!!!

Pete

You have to ask yourself does the cross beam move in relation to the chassis. If it's rigidly mounted there is no problem. If it does move even a little then you could have a brake line fatigue fracture in X years time with who knows what consequences. It's not about passing the SVA! IMO.

Nigel

Incidently the cross beam is just that and nothing like a de dion axle which is separated from the car by springs and dampers and moves with the wheels.