Rear Brake Pipe

spg

Guest Petemate

Hi Nigel - (BTW how are you?) you are quite right in the matter of slight movement would compromise the piping. But our builder explained to the tester that the beam was mounted rigidly at 1) the front outer plates welded to the chassis and 2) the diff, which in turn was mounted to the chassis at its rear. I cannot see how the beam can ever move fitted this way.

My 2 pennorth!!

Pete

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incidently the cross beam is just that and nothing like a de dion axle which is separated from the car by springs and dampers and moves with the wheels.

Ooops, sorry for calling it something it isn't. I'm sure I heard someone call it that before though :unsure: :unsure:

Guest Petemate

Steve - just got home from work 1/2 hr ago (well, I HAD to have a beer eh?) The only pic I have showing the mounting of my 3-way is this one. You however can if you want to do it, put a strap across the chassis further forward to sit under where your 3-way is now.

Pete

PS sorry for the crap pic - I took it off my build cd and had to resize right down before it would post

post-5-1139703975.jpg

You have to ask yourself does the cross beam move in relation to the chassis
Just posing the question. I removed the bits of the big rubber bushes above and below the beam, made other mods and as far as I'm concerned in my car the beam is rigidly mounted. If you are happy that your beam is rigidly mounted then no problem. The possibility of a fatigue fracture is not obvious and it would be so easy to be caught out by something like this.

It's about being confident that you are building a safe car with a secondary point of making sure it will pass the SVA.

Ooops, sorry for calling it something it isn't. I'm sure I heard someone call it that before though 
I've called it a de dion in the past but it's just a sort of subframe.

Nigel