A17YOB

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest jetskijase

I used mk engineering ones to great affect, plus is that you can get the wing nice and close to your wheel. :D

It's supported in the gap at the pinch bolt holding the dummy strut in. and then also under neath the bottom ball joint bolt.

Theres was a bit of thinning with the grinder at these two points then the bending of the bars into and over the wheel but no big stress.

Jase

nice one Jim

dont spose you fancy making some more 

i spose i have to send these back 

so yours are flattened tube with a bend in them and a few holes drilled for mounting?

not sure whether i can make them as metalwork was never a strong point 

thanks for the pics mate

i also noticed your rollbar stops at the side of the body where mine has a full sierra rollbar mosified  was it just optional or slight modified kits?

1st question = No, it took a few goes to get them anything like right. they aren't as good as I would have liked them but I was cheesed off with them (nice way of putting it!) Anyway, I couldn't if I wanted to, no longer working in engineering.

2nd question = Yes, basically they are tube flattened at the ends for the front one, and the bottom one is similar but is welded onto a plate that is bolted up under the nut of the bottom ball joint.

3rd question = the "rollbar" you're on about, is actually tie-bar replacements for the sierra roll bar. I did have straight ones on, but they caught the wheel & mudgaurd stay, so had these made with the same bends as the original sierra one. again, there's no chance of making any more. but sometimes you see them for sale when someone gets a batch made.

attached is another piccy that shows the bottom fixing better. as I said there are nicer ones than mine, go see our build tips for piccys of a couple.

post-10-1140624987.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well i've spoken to Richard this week about this and he says that the brackets will fit my car.

Basically he said that you undo the top balljoint and the pinchbolt on the dummy strut and remove that and these brackets act as the dummy strut and the cycle bracket.

What do you make of that Bill?

Guest Battery Bill
What do you make of that Bill?

They don't look like our ones but similar I suppose, remember you will also have to drill a hole through the lug and the stub axle to fit a nut and bolt for security otherwise you would only be relying on how hard you push the dummy strut into the stub axle to keep the whole mudguard steady.

(Well I think that sounds ok :wub: :wub: )

Bills right, you still have only half the set,

you need the two flat pieces to keep them straight, and the tubes to mount the wings on.

then you will have to have the wheels re checked for alignment and camber.

send them back and get a refund.

Mitch

Guest turbo

what you have been sent is what i got with the 2b plus in 2005.

richard describes these in the video as the best brackets yet.

what you dont have is the piece of multi bend tube that comes with them from which you mark of 4 points and cut it up into the 4 pieces of tube that slide over the bits you have,the new bits wrap around the tyre to take the arches.

these brackets are a good tidy job and work well and are not hard to do. <_<

Bills right, you still have only half the set,

you need the two flat pieces to keep them straight, and the tubes to mount the wings on.

then you will have to have the wheels re checked for alignment and camber.

send them back and get a refund.

Mitch

the multi bend tube should have came with them and i have called RH AGAIN to ask why they didnt come together and they didnt really have much of an explanation as usual.

but anyway thanks for the support guys its a great help, i think some people at robin hood genuinely want to help but unfortunately one doesn't know what the other ones thinking.

dont worry mich i do alignments for a living ;)

well we have some brackets again after some confusion over how many bits and what bits i got and didnt get but thats standard RH after all and i still had to moan like an old *bleep* to get the bits here :p

We fitted the dummy strut/brackets today piece of piss really next we have to trim the tube thingies to get them nice and close to the tyres and weld them on.

then we are going to try and make some sort of spacer up for mounting the wings so as to avoid chopping the fiberglass around as i've seen on lots of kitcars as it looks shocking.

might strip the paint back and repaint all the front end then :)

newbracket.jpg

Guest Battery Bill

Ed

then we are going to try and make some sort of spacer up for mounting the wings so as to avoid chopping the fiberglass around as i've seen on lots of kitcars as it looks shocking.

It looks just as shocking if you use spacers to mount up the wings, They look a lot better close to the tyre :D :D

Guest salty_monk

Also recommend dome head stainless bolts to hold them on rather than rivets, rivets always look awful to me....

Ideally I guess you'd want to do it without anything showing, I suppose you could try to graft some studs onto the wing itself with fibreglass....

No more nails might be easier.... :D