Electronic Fuel Pump

niduncan

I am thinking of fitting an electronic fuel pump to replace the standard mechanical pump (pinto with carb). One thing that I am not sure about is how to automatically cut of the supply voltage to the pump in the event of an accident. How has it been done on fuel injected cars?

Guest Battery Bill

Nigel

Can be a simple impact sensitive switch found in the boot of injected sierras

Why is there one fitted to our "2B3"s boot then ? its a 2 ltr DOHC Carb engine!

I cant imagine uncle Henry wasting money by putting Inertia switches in cars that dont need them <_< <_< :D

OK I should have said

Can be a simple impact sensitive switch as found in the boot of sierras with electric fuel pumps.
or
Can be found in the boot of injected sierras and Bills 2B3 alongside the battery
But would I stoop so low? :rolleyes:

Nigel

On fuel things I finished the pumps and swirl pot side of my conversion today. There are 16 fuel pipe clips in my boot!!! There will be about six more under the bonnet. Should have bought the company.

Guest Battery Bill

Nigel

No No you have not got what I am trying to say!

2B3 is the car me and my mate Lee have bought together and the donor 2Ltr DOHC has Carbs and a inertia switch in its boot! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes of course you are right about "JOEYS" having the inertia switch beside the battery :p :p :lol: :lol:

Guest salty_monk

Nigel,

I've been waiting to see some updated pics of how you're conversion is going... I'm watching from afar with interest!!

YOu'll be glad to know the Yoko's are fitted & perform well apparently.. I've not been back to drive it :(

Dan :)

I am thinking of fitting an electronic fuel pump to replace the standard mechanical pump (pinto with carb). One thing that I am not sure about is how to automatically cut of the supply voltage to the pump in the event of an accident. How has it been done on fuel injected cars?

I've had the electric fuel pump on my car now for a few years since I put the Vauxhall lump in, and didn't bother fitting the inertia switch, the pump came on 7 off with the turn of the key, BUT............... having been in the new job now for a few months, and seen the amount of vehicle fires that there are, knowing how vunerable we are in these toys of ours, I spent an hour the other day fitting the Ford switch (Thanks for that, Mitch!) I've actually put it just behind the passenger seat, fixed to the tunnel, the thought behind that is if it trips through "over exuberance on corners" or through hitting one of those spine rattling pot holes that the Councils like to leave around, at least I'll be able to press the button easily to reset it.

Basically, if you've got a leccy pump, I'd fit one.

(PS. I'll hide the wires sometime! ;) )

post-10-1140370949.jpg

Thank's for the info, sounds like an inertia switch is essential! I don't suppose anybody has a spare lying around they would like to part with?

How would the oil pressure sensor be wired into the fuel pump circuit? I have a VDO sensor that feeds an electronic oil pressure guage and it also has a feed that supplies an earth for the oil pressure light. How could this switched earth be used when the fuel pump has to run before the engine is started and also stop the pump if the engine stops in an accident?

Guest Battery Bill

Hey Jim

You should not have told everyone where yours is, how long before some Joker who has run out of Smoke tablets decides its just as funny to watch BJ trying to start his isolated car :lol: :lol:

Remember the fun we had when Sir Chris had this problem :lol: :lol: :lol:

bet he checks it now every time he gets in, may even hit it to add extra security,

There available at the scrappers for £2-3 quid, the sierra one is mounted under the spare wheel.

HTH

Mitch

Nigel, facet list a oil pressure powered safety switch for electric pumps. Separate from the oil light switch and I don't know how it works . May just be a relay with a timer delay on it, powered for 10 seconds after ignition is switched on and then cuts power if no pressure to take care of start up but also cuts power if oil pressure drops.

Nigel