Shocks/dampers

Guest ScotMac

Guest ScotMac

Yes, the rally design 247p price is good, but the shocks don't match the l/w length. They are 12" and 13" OL, vs. the 13.5" and 16" that RH sent me. I'll have to give them a call and see if they can substitute.

Chris, that is a good deal....and gives me a goal. Are they the GP line? In fact, do you have the exact part #? Also, what length?

Thanks, -sm

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ScotMac

Dave at DamperTech says that RH will *now* be supplying GAZ shocks w/ their kits. Great that they finally saw the light, too bad it didn't occur a little *earlier*.

Guest ScotMac

Pretty interesting that RH will supposedly now be supplying Gaz shocks on their kits. Haven't confirmed from RH yet....and Dave has gone quiet...hmmm.

Anyway, have done some more research, and theoretically, "double adjustable" (DA) seems to be the way to go. Typical single adjustables give you between 12 and 36 adjustments of rebound or compression or both combined together. Double adjustable shocks give you separate adjustments for rebound and compression. So, for example, if they ONLY give you 12 adjustments for rebound and compression on DA, then you would get 244 possible adjustment points!!! Even if, say, 100 of the points are worthless, that still gives you a hugely greater amount of tweaking of the suspension, compared to the single adjustables.

However, it appears that DA's are also not cheap, as you would guess. Has anyone fitted a pair? Are they worth the price. Do the adjustable valves work affectively?

It seams that w/ the amount flexibility on the DA's, you could change your spring rate many times, change your mount points (w/ the extenders, etc), change the weight of the car, and never have to buy new shocks.

Guest chris brown
Seems like a pretty good deal...opinions???
They must be over priced otherwise how can they give away a "free" T shirt (You never get out for nout) and in any case a firm that gives more emphasis on the "free" gift than on describing the item has to be suspect. What are the open and shut lengths? What are the eye bolt sizes? What is the rod size? What spring size is required?

Guest ScotMac

They have 14" x 10" (extended vs. open) and 17" x 11", to go w/ the front 13.5" and rear 16" (extended) supplied by RH. Those will go w/ 9"/10" and 12" springs, respectively.

The eye's can be either bearing or poly. The poly's are 3/4" ID, which i would have to find a sleeve for to go from that 3/4" to the 3/8" ID sleeve that RH used.

Actually, i would rather go w/ the bearing based eyes, and just use spacers.

These are new, never opened, and the suggested retail is around $350/pair. This is by far the best deal i have found on QA1's. It also seems like a better deal than DamperTech Gaz prices. It is about the same as the RallyDes individual coilover prices (~$230 + shipping). But i have no idea how the Gaz and QA1's compare.

And, yes, it's way off from your 85gbp's price, Chris!!! ;)

Guest ScotMac

Oh, the rod is 5/8". From their description:

5/8" Centerless Ground, Hard Chrome Plated, Solid Piston Rod - Precision surface, eliminates piston rod flex increasing valving consistency

Anyway, have done some more research, and theoretically, "double adjustable" (DA) seems to be the way to go. Typical single adjustables give you between 12 and 36 adjustments of rebound or compression or both combined together. Double adjustable shocks give you separate adjustments for rebound and compression. So, for example, if they ONLY give you 12 adjustments for rebound and compression on DA, then you would get 244 possible adjustment points!!! Even if, say, 100 of the points are worthless, that still gives you a hugely greater amount of tweaking of the suspension, compared to the single adjustables.

Very good article about shocks in " i think" Total Kitcar.Unhelpfully i don't have them with me right now. They talked through all the different options up to 5 way adjustables, just employ a formula one team to set them up.

Single adjustables i can handle, 2 way adjustable bump and rebound, i may be able to set up with some help. All the others i would have to go and hide in a dark room.

One thing to be very aware of is that with a very light car you may be on the softer end of the adjustments available to you.

you may be on the softer end of the adjustments

Spot on Paul.....

I have GAZ adjustable shocks on the front.

They have 40 positions, I use no. 3 on the road, (firm, but compliant) and no. 5 on track, (almost solid).

If I used no. 40 I could dispense with the spring....

Bob

Guest salty_monk

Compression damping will not be much use to you... better to get the springs right... only time it's useful is if you have a really bumpy track (not likely) or one with a big spike in it...

Only other time is if you change the weight drastically - like a really fat passenger or something :D

Most of the time you will prob have it set to minimum anyhow...

I have compression damping adjustment on my mountain bike where things are much more sensitive, all I use it for is to cheat the springs when I lend it to fat blokes!! :D

Guest ScotMac

Yes, the goal is to get the springs as close to perfect as possible, in terms of the compression. But then have the compression adjustments on the shock to be able to do final fine-grain tuning. And then, as the shocks age, or the weight changes slightly, the shock adjusters give you the ability to continually tweak it to make sure it stays perfect.

Note, the QA1 double adjustable shocks actually have 24 by 24 (compression vs. rebound) adjustments....so 576 points!!! I would HOPE that would give us atleast a 100 or so useable points...

Guest salty_monk

I very much doubt you will get much of a range of adjustment in the compression damping at the weight of a lightweight but you can try....

Dan :)

Guest ScotMac

Has nothing to do w/ the weight of the car, by itself. It has to do w/ the relationship of the spring rating as compared to the weight of the car. ie, if the springs are too soft, then only the stiffest compression settings will be useful, and i might be only able to use a few of the settings. However, if i get a springs well matched to the weight of the car, then the correct settings will be somewhere in the middle range, and all the settings around them will be useful.

It is true that amount of gradation between each setting could have greater impact on a lighter weight car. ie, if the gradations are too large, just a couple of clicks could have a great impact on the suspension. However, that is again exactly why i desire the double adjustables. ie, w/ 576 settings, the gradations should be much smaller.

The only problem is, i can't afford the DA's!!! ;)

Guest ScotMac

Is this the article Paul:

http://kitcarmag.com/techarticles/142_0405_shocks/

Interesting quote in it from the tech expert at QA1 about making sure you now exactly your weight distribution, in order to get the suspension right. Makes sense. In fact, we should probably have different springs on the front, if the engine is not exactly in the center.