Grumpy Old Man

Guest red7

What should I do?

My next door neighbours, their sons + live in girlfriends have 7 cars & vans between them. They have recently started parking them outside my house as well as their own. I have had a transit van and various cars parked outside for the last month. Now they have started inviting their relatives to park outside my house when they go away on holiday. I confronted them politely a week ago explaining I was annoyed they were doing this, "it's only for a while" was their reply.

Mr :angry: Angry

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Petemate

I would, if this happened to me, call the law every time (but only IF) you absolutely cannot get out of your drive. I realise this may stretch the local Constabulary a bit but it was the advice we got from our local Station. Technically (Dredd or Enforcer will correct me if I'm wrong) you cannot park outside your own property unless you have a Permit "bay", as this I think constitutes obstruction. However - we live three doors from a school, and the mums caused us a big headache for years. But they eventually got the message. We have a short service road, parallel with the main road, and the blighters used to PARK in it right across our driveway. They don't any more. We haven't got a problem with them stopping momentarily in the mornings to let their pasty-faced offspring out, but it came to a head when they used to just leave their cars there and go and have a "Mothers' Meeting" for half an hour in the afternoons. One mum one day even had the audacity to back her car into our run-up; she soon moved it after a bit of verbal when she made as if to walk off and leave it there.

You have my sympathy, but there are means to sort it even if these cause a bit of a fall-out with your neighbours. Be prepared for some aggro....

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I do have an ace up my sleeve.

I believe in give and take and over the last few years I've not said anything about my neighbour operating a garden furniture manufacturing business out of his garage during the summer months. BUT first sign of him starting up and I'll be reporting him to the authorities.

I have been tempted to let their tyres down, put a rude sign on the windscreen or empty my Friday night curry over his motor!

But I am far too old for such childish behavior. Now where did I put my keys? I think I'll go and rev the Hood for an hour on the drive.

I know how aggravating this is it happens all the time in my road and as i have been living there for some time i have noticed that all our kids are now getting to the age when they will all have there own cars. However any one can park on a public road, my only solution to claimimg my part of the road is to drop the curb and pave the front.

Any one parking in front of your drive causes an obstuction, but only one way, i belive, i think they can trap you out but not in.

However if any one blocks me in i have nudged them out of the way, and been prepaired for the consequences.

At every opportunity park outside there house and make sure you take 2 parking spaces. Then talk again.

Guest micky bigthumbs

Dont retaliate contact the local council and complain about nuisance parking.. as long as the cars are legal and are not parked on the footpath the police cant do anything and wo;d tell you ...you would be wasting there time

Guest Battery Bill

Steve

If they Block the path the Police can and will do them for it But only if it is blocking the path

Like Mickey says how about a summer Barbi at your house :lol: :lol:

Steve

Sorry to hear about this. And I'm afraid there is no easy answer. Anyone can park on the road outside your house provided the vehicle is taxed, insured and MOT'd and as long as they are not obstructing your access.

This country generally has an antiquated road network which was devised well before the advent of the motor vehicle. Particularly in older, urban residential areas parking outside your own home becomes a bit of a lottery.

The police would respond to obstructions of the footpath, or your driveway, but would obviously not prioritise this in the great scheme of things. If they did attend, and issued a few penalty notices I would be concerned that your neighbour would up the anti and you'd start to notice things like flat tyres and scratches on paintwork. Parking in this country very much relies on community spirit, which is struggling to survive as we all know! The police would want to hear that you had approached your neighbour and politely explained how their parking effects you, but there is really nothing that can be done from an enforcement point of view if the vehicles are parked legally. You have done the gentlemanly thing and spoken politely to them. Most reasonable people would have made an effort; they just don't sound very reasonable.

Guest mark kingston

i had a similar problem with the cheeky buggers parking all over the place.

i lost it one night when i came home from work and could see no where to park and just then they pulled a car out of their drive... i quick as a flash shoot in to their drive parked up and walked off in doors.

five mnutes later the was a knock at the door telling me my car was in their drive , i said yes i now and closed the door

after another knock i pointed out that if i could not park out side my house or use my drive due to their parking then i would park it where i could and that i would move it when i went to work in the morning, and their it stayed all night.

after that i never had trouble parking in my drive or indeed on the road outside.

Guest docter fox

as someone who often has a fair few friends round :wub: I definately wouldn't suggest calling in the authorities (that would just make me more determined :lol: )

I think polietely having a word and dealing with it subtlely is the best way :)

James (5 car family) with too many friends in cars :lol:

Guest Battery Bill

James

with too many friends in cars

Dig that Knife in, You know Red7 is Known as "Billy no mates oopnorth"

:lol: :lol:

Only Kidding Steve

Have you thought about "Stingers"?

:D :D