Pinto 1.6l Flywheel ?

Guest Takumi

Guest Takumi

Hi,

I've finally got a 2.0i engine for our 2b to replace the knackered 1.8.

My question is this:

The 1600 pinto flywheel is much lighter than the 2L version. By howmuch is it lighter.? Is it just the mass on the back of the flywheel, if so, can the 2L flywheel be lightened to match the 1.6L. Or is it worth starting with a 1.6L flywheel and lighten that.

thanks

tak

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest salty_monk

I'd use the 2.0l & get the "meat" on the back turned off of it. James posted a comparison picture of one recently on here.

Clutch might be different with the 1.6.. not sure.

Dan :)

Guest docter fox

here's the pics of the 2.0 flywheel after being lightened

post-13-1145056856.jpg

I just had all the bulk material at the back machined off, I looked into using the 1.6 flywheel but found the clutch to be smaller, so decided to stick with the 2.0, I hope to be able to comment on the difference it makes by the end of the month ;)

Guest warwick7735

Hi

I had this problem with mine as I bought the engine(2.0L pinto) without the flywheel. I sourced one but it was for a 1.6. The clutch is alot smaller, but if your mating it up to a type 9 G/box you need the clutch from a very early sierra (1984) this has a diameter of 7inches but is fitted with the 1inch 23 spline hole to mate to your G/box (later sierras had standard 8inch cluthches fitted).

The flywheel is a bit lighter as well as the clutch & pressure plate.

Whole clutch, pressure plate & bearing was £54

Hope this helps

Warwick ;)

Guest warwick7735

DF

I wouldn't like to be to near that flywheel when it shatters. The only way to have a lightened flywheel is to dump the cast one and buy steel.

You can lighten the cast one but it's not reccomended.

Warwick

It should be safe to machine off just the big lump on the back of the flywheel without going any further toward the centre. Old pic of this with scribbled out modified wheel agreed to be unsafe by all. Pic left is unmodified wheel. Middle shows machining of back lump only but also black areas this machine shop suggested could be removed to end up with wheel on the right, which everyone felt was unsafe+++.

Nigel

Guest Takumi

Thanks for the replies. I think I will stick with the 2.0 flywheel rather than tryng to source different clutch parts.

I'm going to machine it myself, wont be just yet though.

Thanks

tak

Guest ShroppySi

Just to add to the debate, I ended up using the 1.6 flywheel, clutch, gearbox and diff from the original doner with my new 2.0 engine. I figured it would be a bit lighter and lower geared for better acceleration. The clutch plate is a bit smaller diameter but I think I am right in saying it was the same size as the old 2.0 litre capri? so I figure it should be fine on a 2b which is a much smaller car.

Well that was my theory anyway, and I can certainly report that the car is going really well (done about 100 miles so far). Its a complete revelation after the old 1.6!

Do be carefull if you do lighten the flywheel, engines can be fixed but legs are more tricky....

Good luck whichever way you go.

Si. :D

Guest Simon cooper

Hi Takumi,

I too would advise against doing it yourself. Obviously I do not know how good you are with a lathe, brilliant I am sure. However, when you have a lump of iron, or steel for that matter, spinning at 6k per min, it needs to be balanced.

Ford balance it to a degree, but within practical production limits for the purpose of all round general performance of a 1 and 1/2 ton Sierra.

With a lighter flywheel and only 700 kilo's of car, the engine will zip up the revs a lot quicker and the forces imposed on it are phenomonal, way beyond what it was designed for.

If it is not balanced to a HIGHER standard than what old Henry did to it, with less metal holding it together, the consiquenses (is that spelt rite?) are not worth thinking about. After all, that is why the people in the know use steel flywheels.

If you are still hell bent on doing it, also get it crack tested.

Regards

Simon

Sounds like he wants to kill himself absolutly crazy there is only so much corner cutting you can do this is not 1 of them either buy the proper job or just leave it standard