Pinto 1.6l Flywheel ?

Guest Takumi

Guest chris brown
I wouldn't like to be to near that flywheel when it shatters.
It is less likely to shatter now than when it had all that weight around the outside edge. As for balance now that the flywheel had had that big lump removed from it static balancing will suffice (as there is very little thickness to it) So Tak as you like using your lathe so much make yourself a static balancer. All you need is a cone bigger than the centre hole in the flywheel with a cone shape cut in the base of it this cone then needs to be placed on a point and the flywheel put over it now it is easy to find any heavy spot and remove a small amount of material by drilling a small hole directly into the edge of the flywheel. BTW this is how mine was done 16000 miles ago

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Takumi

My thoughts exactly CB, with less mass, there is less force, puts less strain on the crank also.

I get your point about the static balance..will try making up a cone :)

Nice to hear that things are still done old skool your way!

tak

Guest salty_monk

Chris so it's a double cone, two points one at each end or just a cone you stand it on to see which way it leans?

Got any Nigelgrams?? :p :lol:

I'm interested cause I have a lightened flywheel but no idea if it's balanced... (it's not fitted).

Dan :)

Guest MrSandman

Lightened flywheels can shatter, but usually only if they are machined in critical areas. They tend to break rather than shatter and have been known to go clean through the bellhousing and tunnel.

I used to race on a lightened cast flywheel pulling 8000 without problems. Rules didn't allow steel!!

The important point to remember is that due to leverage forces the weight around the outside makes far more difference than that towards the centre so taking on the large band will make most difference.

Personally I would still get it dynamically balanced though. For what it costs it will give a smoother engine which may just stop you breaking a crank if you over rev too often. It will also help with longevity of the engine but I guess that isn't going to be a problem in a seven.

Guest chris brown
just a cone you stand it on to see which way it leans?
Correct but the cone needs to be hollow so it can stand on a point and no it don’t do diagrams like Nigel (longboarder) In fact I have great trouble in getting words on here never mind drawings. :p :p

Guest AWhite

I got my crank, flywheel and clutch balanced. I also got the lightweight flywheel dowelled to the crank as it is common for the flywheel to shear its bolts on a lightweight/high power engine. Whole lot was £150, well worth it IMHO.

Andy

Guest chris brown

spot on Dan drill at A it has the largest effect and is central to the weight for dynamic balancing you would drill at either B or C but as you can imagine it makes very little difference on a flywheel. On steel flywheels small pieces of steel are sometimes welded on.

I posted a picture in another thread, this was similar to diagrams found in Pinto tuning books.

That is similar to the pic Longboarder posted and if i had not of got a steel flywheel on my latest engine, it's what i would have done after taking the advise of the club. You must dowl it

if it is going to be reved a bit more than Henry intended.

it's the bolts that give out.

Be safe and if you further modify the engine then don't foget the limitations of the old flywheel.

I am even trying to source some old flack jackets to wrap the bell housing with like the drag racers do.

Guest AWhite

I wouldn't worry my dad's last kit had the standard flywheel lightened to within an inch of its life and he was running 170 bhp through it never had any problems with it. It was balanced and dowelled though.

Andy