Column Bush

A17YOB

• 2 weeks later...
Guest richard jay

Hi all, i am one very p.......i...........ssss..........t...... of member! The first really good sunny day of the year, driving down the A5 in my Kit towards Milton Keynes thinking...... I can have some of this!!!

All this adulation was prior to my MOT at 10 o clock... What could go wrong. Well, you guessed it, it failed on the lower steering bush!!!! "to much play between the the shaft and column/ bulkhead".

So thankyou to the member for submitting the stearing column article, I will certainly use it.

If any members have any tips I will be glad to hear them. I can add further information and pictures next week.

I am still going to the steam fair in my Nissan Micra :( :( :( and I get back on Monday to Jack the Kit up. :( :boohoo:

Guest Lotus Eater

Yes it does use a bog standard Ford bush but it does need a retainer. Ford use a "one off" spring washer. A bugger to adjust properly. I made an Alloy one with a grub screw. See www.colinusher.info for more details and an AutoCad drg.

Colin Usher

Guest chris brown
Yes it does use a bog standard Ford bush but it does need a retainer.
It does need a retainer of some sort unless the bush with the triangular hole will travel up the column but it doesn’t have to be anything special a small jubilee clip will do.

Guest AWhite

Lolocost do the bush and the plate shown in the above post. I bought both for my series III (didn't know about the other bush at the time). The trouble on mine was that the hole for the bush was too big. Using the plate i refitted the bush, job done.

Andy

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Just getting around to this today - but I have a question.

The original bearing is on a steel hanger. In effect, the bulkhead isn't supporting the column & bush at all.

During my build, I plated the bulkhead stainless on my car with 6mn chequer plate.

With this in mind, can I do away with the hanger :unknw:

I can't see in the NW link how/where the bush assembly is actually fixed.

My opinion is the that bulkhead will be strong enough to hold the new bearing assembly on it's own, but I will bow to your knowledge.

TIA

I replaced the ford type bearing with the one shown above on my Series 3 yesterday. What a nightmare job, you need a left arm like a gorilla's to reach down into the footwell. The pedals are in the way and the access in the engine bay is almost nill as the bearing is under the pedal box and servo. The original hole in the firewall was to small for the new bearing so a new bracket was needed. Got there in the end though.