Drum Removal

Guest combatsapph

Guest combatsapph

Hey all

I'm currently stripping down a Sierra (1987 2.0i ghia) and everything is off bar the rear brakes/driveshafts/diff.

One problem I'm having is that I can't get the rear drums off. They woble but wont budge, even with a thver in between the back plate and the drum. The brake hoses are disconnected and the handbrake has been removed. The haynes manual says to poke a screw driver through the hole in the drum to release the auto adjuster - trouble is there is no hole in the drum! I though about a puller but the largest I can find is 250mm and the drums will need one of about 300mm.

Any ideas how to proceed? I don't mind if the drums/pads get damaged in the process as I'll be replacing them.

Please RHOCAR, you are my only hope.

Regards,

Rob

Guest combatsapph

Thanks guys - I have been hitting it with a hammer but maybe I haven't been vigorous enough.

I'll have another go tonight and beat seven bells of poo out of them! :-)

Wish me luck.

Guest timswait

Some designs will have a hole to release the adjuster, some don't. If they wobble then it sounds like the pads aren't really tight anyway, so it probably wouldn't help even if there was a hole. Resorting to violence is really the only option, I'd favour a hammer over levering against the backplate, they're quite thin and will probably just bend.

I have had issues in the past with drum brakes not coming apart.

try the screw driver in the adjuster whole, then the big hammer and well placed levers, if you can get to the back plate and the spring retainers, some times you can release them.

Watch out for flying springs when you finally get them off and check for a wear ridge round the edge of the drum. That is usually the cause of the problem.

Guest Alan_builder

Forget using leavers, you will only bend the back plate.

Pull the drum on one side and hit it on the other, then change sides.

The problem is wear, when the drun wears a lip is left, the inner/ non worn part is smaller than the size the shoes are now set at. All you have to do make the drum jump across the shoes.

Hit the B while pulling on rhe other side of drum.

Bset of luck, and have an ice pack ready, I bet you pinch a finger or two.

Alan

Guest Petemate

With all the cars I've had,whenever I've come across this problem, as long as the drum can be "wobbled" from side to side, I found that if you rotate the drum at the same time as pulling at it, that sometimes works. Best in the normal direction of travel.

FWIW & HTH

Pete

Not very helpful, but I remember once my neigbour was bashing and bashing trying to replace his drums. After about an hour I got fed up so went outside to see what was going on and to see if I could help (I couldn't work with all the noise)... After about 2 minutes I realised that he had the handbrake one :) 1 minute later drum was off!

Guest combatsapph

Hey - thanks all, the drums are now off!

Went out yesterday and whacked them real hard but still no joy. Bought a blowtoch today and heated the drums up, put a lever between the drum and the back plate and them with a lump hammer belted the living day lights out of the other side - both came of with what seemed to be a loud "crack" - and as a bonus no visible damage to bruns or back plates!

Your all stars! :wub:

Guest AWhite

Be careful that the brake cylinders and seals are not damaged. Also look to see if the shoe retaining springs and clips are ok.

It's nice when you get passed a problem like that isn't it. :D

Andy

the best thing about Sierra brake stuff, is that it's all as cheap as chips!, don't mess about with using the old cylinders, get new (less than £10 each) new drums and new shoes, also get a set of retaining springs etc, then you'll be happy that the whole lot's not going to let you down. you should be able to put a complete new set-up on for around £50

Guest combatsapph

I've had this Sierra for 8 years, so I'm not concerned about the wuality of the braking system - it was all replaced a few years back. Shoes even have loads of wear on them!