Super Spec Engine Problems

Guest Dredd

Guest Dredd

What should have been a day preping the car to go to Stonleigh on Sunday has turned out badly. The engine initially fired up but wouldn't idle. After checking tightness off leads and poking and prodding a few things, the engine does now fire and idle. However, if I accelerate the engine slowly, it revs ok, but if I try and stick my foot down hard, then the engine dies at 2000 revs and splutters to nothing.

Any ideas! :(

Guest AWhite

Did you give it a chance to warm up before you tried it. My runs pretty rough until it warms up.

Is it a carbed engine, check that the carb squirts 2 big jets of fuel into carb with air filter off. Might be that the accelerator pump is blocked.

Andy

Guest Dredd

Andy

It's a fuel injected Rover engine. I've just checked the fuel filter and it is full and I have been around and made sure the air pipe to the ecu is connected tight etc.

Derek

Guest superspec

Dredd

I had something very similar occur after about 300 miles and it turned out to be the coil breaking down. Try borrowing one but make sure its for electronic Ignition

Sounds like it may be poor fuel supply. Pump sickly or dirt in the lines/filter. Try disconnecting the supply line at the injector rail, remembering there should be very high pressure and it's potentialy dangerous. Then run the pump into a bottle for a couple of seconds only. If its not a real blast it confirms supply problem.

Nigel

No smoking, leather gloves, safety glasses etc.

Guest Dredd

Still no go. Changed coil, ht lead, checked fulel from pump, changed engine temperature sensor, cleaned flywheel sensor.

sometimes the car starts and idles but when flooring the throttle, it dies at 2000 rpm. If the revs are raised grdually, it will rev but not as smooth as normal. Squirting carb cleaner into the butterlfy at the dead spot, the engine picks up.

at a loss now and really p****d off that I can't drive it to Stoneleigh :gdit:

Guest vacinc

a few year back, i had a focus (excellent cars ). well at the 2nd service decided to squirt carb cleaner and clean the butter fly flap , big mistake "F"ed it. had to buy a new one £110., had been useing carb cleaner on efi cars for years and never a problem "fords" as for your problem, i dont have a baldes,

Guest AWhite

Do you have access to another fuel pump you could try. Fuel pumps can appear to work correctly but not supply the required volume of pressure when more flow is required.

Guest Dredd

Well. I have changed the fuel pump and no change; changed the filter, no change. I took the car out but could not get over 2500 revs without engine spluttering and dying. As long as the engine is not under load, it feels OK, but as son as I try and accelerate, then it's no go. I'm beginning to think that it's ECU related, but frankly, I'm at a loss. :unsure:

Guest Wrighty

Hi Dredd,

I had a bit of this prior to the SVA....

We got it narrowed down to the ever so lovely lambda not feeding back to the ECU, ECU, or the vacuum pipe linking ECU to manifold.(Left side nipple on the manifold?)

Turned out to be the RH ECU and lambda in the end....Avon ECU still the same until i plugged in the vacuum pipe and all was, and is still good