Super Spec Engine Problems

Guest Dredd

Guest Dredd

I am getting more convinced it is ECU based. I believe the Lambda is a fine tuning device so probably not causing this much pain! I looked at AVON website and see that that they sell an imobilisor interface which means that a standard ECU can be used with this device. As the cost of a refurbished one is 200 quid, I wondered if a trip down the breakers would pay dividends? Also I see they have remapped a Mini ecu to give an extra 35bhp. Might be possible with the standard Rover chip?

Derek,

Sorry to hear about your woes. This reminded me of a letter issued by RH a while agon concerning the ECU. Apparently the ECU can suffer problems if the HT lead from the coil runs too close to the ECU or jump leads run too close to the unit. Unfortunately they don't state what problems!

I don't know if you received this letter from RH, but it also states that a standard Rover T series ECU won't work because the SSpec ECU's have been specially programmed to run on these engines without the immobiliser. What special programming is down to black magic and witchcraft!

If you haven't yet rectified the problem, my car is many, many, many months away from completion. I could pop up with my ECU (unused so far!), for you to try on your car. This should prove the fault. It will should also help establish whether my ECU is good or not!

Let me know.

Al

Guest Dredd

Hi Al

Thanks for the offer i'm really grateful, but my ECU is at Avon and they are going to bench test it tomorrow. If it is faulty, then hopefully they can rebuild it. I will talk to RHSC to see if they will foot the bill, but I'm not hopeful.

The RH ECU is standard apart from the fact that is has been programmed to overide the imobiliser system. Avon make a unit that is wired into a standard ECU to fool it into thinking it has received a valid immobiliser code on start up. It costs 35 quid and is for any kit car using an ECU.

I'll let you know how I get on. In the mean time, I'm going to change the headlights this weekend B)

Guest Dredd

Nigel

I don't think the headlights will make any difference to the engine running problem

No you're right, but at least the car will have to stand still for the weekend, so I can start the jobs I need to do to it!

Guest Dredd

Heard from Avon today, the ECU has a fault with the manifold pressure sensor. I'm really impressed with the company, they are going to find a part and rebuild my unit rather than offering to supply me a replacement for a couple of hundred quid. I would recommend them to anyone wanting advice and mods / repairs to ECU's.

Guest Dredd

So, after a few days of my ECU being at Avon diagnostics they called me to tell me that the mainfold sensor was faulty and that they would fit a new sensor to the ecu. This was on tthe Friday. On the Tuesday, they told me that the sensor had been changed but the ecu was still defunked. They were trying to source another Rover mems unit but having trouble.

I was on my way to London by train at the time so I called RHSC tech helpline and spoke to Richard. He told me that they had a few ecus laying around and would be willing to send one off. I then called Avon, they called RHSC and they an ecu was sent next day to Avon. On Friday morning, a tested ecu was delivered to my door along with the gadget Avon make to fool the standard ecu that it has an imobiliser attached.

I fitted the unit today and took the car for a run. I can't believe the difference, the car runs better and much quicker; so THANK YOU Avon diagnostics and RHSC for the excellent service. :)