Lightweight All Motd

Guest warwick7735

Guest warwick7735

HI ALL

Thought this would interesting to all LW builders, had the LW weigheed at the local weighbridge today on the way to it's MOT (passed with flying colours, the brakes were rated at 97percent, a pass is 60). All up weight with windscreen, spare wheel & full tank of fuel was 610kgs, I was hoping for less than that but considering it's got the pinto fitted I knew it wasn't going to be a super LW.

Warwick

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DRC7

Hi junk the windscreen spare wheel wiper motor washer bottle and you will have a 500 kg lightweight this is what i will be doing to mine

did they like the lightweight any problems

Lightweight builder Dale

I will be corrected but i think fuel weighs a kilo per litre the spare about 10k and the pinto is about 30k heavier than a Zetec, so 560k dry and no spare 530k with a lighter lump is not far off the target weight.

Just keep on the slimfast for that extra weight saving :lol:

Guest salty_monk

yes... 1kg per litre is correct for fuel.. same as water.

I make that 580 dry... 570 no spare, take off another 10 for the screen...

30kg sounds a lot, pinto is 60kg & you don't have the weight of additional swirl pot, fuel pumps etc.....

Dale, think you're being optimistic mate.... what are you running again a bored out 1.6L Pinto??

I would say Scottmac with his Duratec & Aluminium uprights & brakes might make somewhere close to 500kg especially if he used kevlar unpadded seats but otherwise it's going to be difficult to shave off 110kg.

Dan :)

Guest warwick7735

Hi

If anybody gets a LW to under 500kgs using a car engine I will be surprised, I got no wipers fitted or washer pump as I took those off prior to MOT, I never even installed the electric fan on the rad. The only way really i could of saved weight would be to

1. Install a lighter motor

2. remove the carpet and trim which I fitted

3. Junk the spare wheel.

But even doing all the above, I dont think youd lose the 110kgs necessary.

I was disappointed because I was hoping for 500kgs approx :(

Warwick

where did you get it weighed?

someone recently had their 2b weighed at sva and it came to 550kg, so it's possible that it may not be accurate...

Guest warwick7735

Hi

Had it weighed at a public weighbridge, scales are all electric with a digital reading. The police use it rergularly to weigh lorries etc.

Warwick

Guest Battery Bill
mmmmmmmmmmmmm it seems a bit heavy where did you get it weighed

:D :D Sounds like someone does not want to believe his car might not really be a "Lightweight" after all :lol: :lol:

Never mind Dale at least its lighter then the 2B (Just) :lol: :lol: