Gutted

Jon Green

Hi Guy's,

I've just got the head off my pinto. When i fitted it 3 years ago my mate renovated it and told me it was a 2.1lt. I've put a tape measure to the cylinders and there not measuring any more than a 2lt.

Im getting about 91mm diameter. Does this mean that im right - it's a 2lt or might the stroke have been lengthened to make it 2.1lt?

Jon :(

Guest warwick7735

Hi

you've got standard size pistons in your block, for it to be a 2.1 you need to use the pistons out of the ford V6, these are standard size of 93mm and you can get these oversize also to 94mm giving a total cc of 2113 and 2135 respectfully. Only consider going to 94mm if you have the later 205 block.

You can increase the stroke of the unit but that costs mega money, so I think it highly unlikely that it's been done.

Many thanks

Warwick

Guest chris brown

It's difficult to measure the bore with a role you really need a vernia caliper at the least. As for giving it a longer stroke that is a non starter as it would require a new crankshaft to be made and in any case longer stroke may give you slightly more torque if your lucky but would give you a lower peak RPM

Don't fret to much, the 2.1 does give more torque and will always give a bit more than a standard 2.0l. However upping the compression and putting on a good flowed head would always be the way forward.

just disapointing

Guest salty_monk

You can measure the pistons accurately enough with a good steel rule... enough to see if 91,93 or 94mm....

If they are overbored (like a skim so only 20 thou or so) they will be marked.... might get an extra 30 or 40 CC if they have... wow!!

:D

Guest AWhite

You don't need to use v6 pistons. This is just a cheaper option. To use the v6 pistons you need to stroke the crank to make sure the cylinders don't protrude above the face of the block.

There are normal pistons available (non v6) they will be marked +1 etc on the top.

To use the v6 pistons you need to stroke the crank to make sure the cylinders don't protrude above the face of the block.

Slight confuson here, if you stroke the crank not only will the piston be further down the bore at BDC, it will also be further up at TDC.

The standard piston is 0.5mm below block face but 2.0mm below the head face because of the gasket (or less with a felpro or adjusta ) then add in any block planing or head skimming in to the equation.

I have in my parts bin 1600 diesel con rods and a spare crank if the crank is offset ground the piston will just protrude above the block face and with the V6 pistons i get 2168cc and a compression ratio between 9.9 to 1 and 10.5 to 1

Guest warwick7735

Hi

If you use the V6 pistons you only need the block to be decked, and the small ends narrowed slightly. V6 pistons cost approx £35, where as the Accralites cost £100 each, £140 & £400 respectfully. a £260 difference in price and it doesn't cost that much to have the extra machining done.

Warwick