Speed Humps

CAF

Hi Guys

Having just purchased a Hood, it was only then did I realise how many of these speed humps there are on the roads.

How do other menbers get on with these, how can you judge what is possible on not possible before its to late?

I only need a few more humps added to roads where I live and I will only be able to go about 150 yards in either direction.

Many thanks for ant advice.

Guest micky bigthumbs

Hiya Welcome to the site..first as an expert on sumps (knocking them off ) check your sump if its not a shortend one get one fast ..check out Bill and Joeys site...speed bumps try and get one wheel on and the other just off or on the kirb ..but if the sump is lowerd just go Slow

Mick

If you're having problems there's things you can do to raise the ride height of your car, depending on what suspension setup you have, and as Micky says shortening your sump is a definate 'must-do' if it hasn't been done already.

I did mine recently (sump) and now have 5" of ground clearance, which should (touch wood) see me over just about anything at a reasonable speed.

To be fair I never had any trouble on the road before, with about 3" clearance - it tends to be more 'off road' where you get stuck - pub car parks, show grounds etc :wacko:

Guest chris brown

Do as Miky says and if you come across those that have just the hump in the middle of the lane on each side go for the middle of the road its better to have the wheels going over the higher bits if you can get the engine over the flat bit in the middle. Other than that take it VERY slowly.

Also welcome to the site and to the world of hoodies.

Guest salty_monk

Join the club too... It won't stop you hitting speed bumps but it'll get you some sympathy when you do so & also help you fix it :p :D :lol:

Welcome :D

Guest timswait

If you take them diagonally you effectively make the bump less steep so improve you're ground clearance (tip from a mate with a slammed Beetle, does work! B) ) I'm weaving all over the road when the bumps about. Traffic calming my arse, more like traffic irritating.

Guest gavinc

there is a rumour that all speed humps must be removed,

and replaced with other types of traffic controls...

dont get too excited thou..

looks like more speed cameras are on the way...

Guest Battery Bill
there is a rumour that all speed humps must be removed,

and replaced with other types of traffic controls...

dont get too excited thou..

looks like more speed cameras are on the way...

Thats no problem "Speed cameras" Burn better than Speed Humps :lol: :lol: :lol:

CAF, it's short sump time or substantial sump guard time, personally i have a short sump and am planning a thick ally sump guard as well.

Talk to Bill about a short sump, not a lot of money compaired with a nakered engine and the oil slick embarasment.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Petemate

That's right about the small humps. they have replaced the full width ones in our village, and Dave's Dax goes over nicely if he puts the wheels on the humps and not either side. My Hood was sold before the full width ones were replaced, but never gave any trouble, but then it is the solid pillar model and has a shortened sump.

Pete