Maximum Power Engine Speed

Guest joni

Evening All,

My SVA form arrived today and I've filled in most of the tricky questions from searching the forum (design weights axle 1 450, axle 2 600, max road speed 105mph, and engine age verification from Ford).

The only thing I can't find is the Q13b Maximum power engine speed??

Haven't got a rev counter fitted (yet) so just wondering what I should put, and also why they need it? Car has a 1600 pinto.

Cheers, Jon

Guest Battery Bill

Jon

We put 4200RPM for a 2ltr Pinto, I have no idea if it is correct but can't be that far out. Also the lower figure you put down on this section, the lower the revs will be when noise testing :D :D

Always worth thinking about

Guest Ian & Carole

The bible according to Haynes states :rolleyes:

Max engine power (DIN) engine code

NES & NET = 77KW @ 5200

NRB & N4A = 85KW @ 5500

NAE = 57KW @ 4500

All these figures are for a 2ltr motor.

HTHs

Ian J

Good stuff thanks everyone.... had looked at Haynes but wasn't sure which one to go for as I don't know which code my engine is.... but now I know why they need the figure, 4900 it is! If you did yours at 4200RPM do you reckon I could get away with stating a lower figure Bill, also where did you get your figure from? Guessing or what? And do you have to have some kind of paperwork (eg Haynes manual) to back up your numbers to present at SVA?

It all gets a bit real when you get the paperwork through, starting to get excited!

Cheers, Jon

You could say anything you like. You *could* have rebuilt your pinto to give peak power at 2,000rpm. How can they tell from the outside?

You could also have made the ECU idle the engine at 1,800 rpm. That would cause them some problems doing a noise test at 1,330 rpm. :D

I wonder how they cope with engines that are quieter at 2/3 max power rpm than 1/3? The test it done with no engine load. If you have a V8 that can drop to 4 cylinders for economy it could do it during the noise test. You could add infra red detectors so it uses the bank of 4 cylinders on the side with no pedestrians. Thus when the inspector tries to measure each side exhaust in turn the ECU will always use the other bank! :lol:

I love thinking up loop holes.

Hi John,

5500 RPM is correct for the 2 litre injection engine. It's 5200 RPM for the 2 litre carb version. I've got the numbers from the official Ford Sierra Operating Guide as supplied with the Sierra. Here's the full list of max power revs according to Ford:

1.3l = 5700

1.6l = 5300

1.6l E-Max = 4900

1.8l (Pinto not CVH) = 5400

2.0l = 5200

2.0l EFI = 5500

2.0l V6 = 5000

2.3l V6 = 5300

Of course this is for a new engine - would it have dropped a bit in the 15-20 years since the engine was made? Anyway, hope that helps. All the best,

Edward

oops - sorry John I misread your question! I thought you were questioning the RPM not the fraction - d'oh.

Edward