Rear Suspension Camber Problem

Guest stevebroad

Guest stevebroad

Hi

I have just bought an EXMO with wishbone front suspension. No problems there but there seems to be an issue with the rear set up.

Although everything looks fine, the rear wheels have an awful lot of negative camber which can't be good for tyre wear. On searching the net, I discovered a guy who had had the same problem. He has posted an AutoCad drawing of a tapered plate designed to return the wheels to a more upright stance. It fits between the semi-trialing arm and the hub. Looks like a good idea to me, however:

1. Does anyone else have the same problem?

2. Is it a design or build fault.

3. Does the plate idea hold water?

I can get the plates laser cut but the set up cost makes one pair expensive. If this is an accepted fix does anyone else fancy some plates?

Steve

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chris brown

Steve

Try Peter Bell he has had lots made over the last couple of years and might still have some.

In answer to your 3 questions

1. Does anyone else have the same problem? Yes lots and it’s not just the Exmo but all Sierra based cars.

2. Is it a design or build fault. Nether really it’s just that we are running our cars lower than the Sierra was intended to

3. Does the plate idea hold water? Yes what it does is bring the wheels back somewhere near upright

Guest Al-Bicester
Hi

I have just bought an EXMO with wishbone front suspension. No problems there but there seems to be an issue with the rear set up.

Although everything looks fine, the rear wheels have an awful lot of negative camber which can't be good for tyre wear. On searching the net, I discovered a guy who had had the same problem. He has posted an AutoCad drawing of a tapered plate designed to return the wheels to a more upright stance. It fits between the semi-trialing arm and the hub. Looks like a good idea to me, however:

1. Does anyone else have the same problem?

2. Is it a design or build fault.

3. Does the plate idea hold water?

I can get the plates laser cut but the set up cost makes one pair expensive. If this is an accepted fix does anyone else fancy some plates?

Steve

I have a series 3A with a similar looking set up at the rear, if you can make a set of plates then count me in as well please.

Many thanks

Al

i've just fitted some of Peter Bell's camber wedges on my car this week to get rid of some of the neg camber cos it was killing the insde edges of the tyres.

not had chance for a decent test drive yet due to the delightful summer weather we're having at the moment

Steve

Guest stevebroad

I have a series 3A with a similar looking set up at the rear, if you can make a set of plates then count me in as well please.

Many thanks

Al

Hi Al, any anyone else with this affliction :-)

Peter Bell has advised me that he will get another batch of plates made up as other members are also interested in them. If you want some, add your name to his list (I have).

Steve

Guest Lotus Eater

Steve

I am the guy who posted the AutoCad drawing. It was not an original idea, I got it from Tony Hurst in the NW RHOC&R. Quite a lot are in use. I have two on my 2B and it works fine. I passed the taper turning jig to the NW RH&OCR Contact Jim Stott. The spacer for the nearside wheel is another essential mod. www.colinusher.info

Regards