Rear Suspension Camber Problem

Guest stevebroad

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chris brown

Bil

Notice how he only does these type of posts when he is thousands of miles away.

BTW had a chat with Peter Bell today at the Herts meet and he has ordered more wedges to be made.

Guest stevebroad
Steve

I am the guy who posted the AutoCad drawing. It was not an original idea, I got it from Tony Hurst in the NW RHOC&R. Quite a lot are in use. I have two on my 2B and it works fine. I passed the taper turning jig to the NW RH&OCR Contact Jim Stott. The spacer for the nearside wheel is another essential mod. www.colinusher.info

Regards

Well, I am glad that you did and so, probably, is Peter :-)

Please expand on nearside wheel spacer mod?

Steve

The original spacers were designed and made by myself, as people were just fitting a couple of washers behind the top 2 bolts, not an ideal solution!

Got absolutely cheesed off making them, as machining the taper on is not the easiest / quickest job.

Like the sumps, I copied that from one I'd seen, worked out how to do it, and Mat got me to do the article.

I've also still got some of the adaptor plates for fitting discs to an "ordinary" rear axle (see our website) but when they're gone, that's it!

(I do miss being in engineering for being able to do the "nicks jobs") after seeing the prices that "Worms are us" charge I should've been a millionare!!!!!

As for the spacer on the n/side of the rear axle, with most 2B's you'll find that the o/s rear wheel sticks out further than the n/s, even to the point of the n/s one rubbing on the bodywork. a plain ¼" spacer between the hub & wheel brings it something like.

Guest Battery Bill
Worms are us

:p :p :p

Nasty man :lol: :lol:

It has been said that it was "Mates Rates" and its still cheap enough otherwise folk would go elsewhere :rolleyes:

Anyway you could always do them at home yourself and undercut us, why don't you ? :p :p

Guest stevebroad
The original spacers were designed and made by myself, as people were just fitting a couple of washers behind the top 2 bolts, not an ideal solution!

Got absolutely cheesed off making them, as machining the taper on is not the easiest / quickest job.

Like the sumps, I copied that from one I'd seen, worked out how to do it, and Mat got me to do the article.

I've also still got some of the adaptor plates for fitting discs to an "ordinary" rear axle (see our website) but when they're gone, that's it!

(I do miss being in engineering for being able to do the "nicks jobs") after seeing the prices that "Worms are us" charge I should've been a millionare!!!!!

As for the spacer on the n/side of the rear axle, with most 2B's you'll find that the o/s rear wheel sticks out further than the n/s, even to the point of the n/s one rubbing on the bodywork. a plain ¼" spacer between the hub & wheel brings it something like.

Agreed, that must put a lot of (uneven) strain on the bolts.

With regard to the spacer, I will have to check that. However, with the wheels having such an acute negative camber at the moment, it is difficult to tell! No excessive tyre wear at the moment, but they just don't look right.

The way the car stops as it is (quickly and straight), I would have thought that putting disc brakes on the rear would have resulted in too much rear braking. Anybody any thoughts, comments, experiences?

I had the tracking checked this morning - 1/2 degree toe-in, so about right I think. But the tyre pressures were 35 front and 32 rear! That might explain why it felt a little twitchy! I must explain that I have only had it for just over a week so I am still learning :-)

Steve