Roll Over Diameter

Guest bloke

hi

wanting to tap into the knowledge of you all

does the roll bar need to be made with tube of a minimum diameter for the SVA??

look forward to your replies and ta in advance

I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong, but if the seatbelts are anchored from it, it has to be 2" (50mm) up to where they come off.

People who've had to put older , pre-2B cars through SVA have built it up by sleeving the roll bar with a piece of scaffolding tube (just fits over the old 1½" dia roll bar nicely).

no seat belts on mine so 46mm will do, ta for your replies

but if yours is a mark 3 or other monocoque, then you'll have to move the seatbelts to behind the seats (similar to the 2B) as they won't pass SVA fixed to the rear boot wall, then you'll need the roll-over bar to 50mm to use it for a brace across to fix the seatbelt anchors to, and it will need fixing into the car securely, (not as RHSC shows)

Guest robinj66

Why won't the S7 pass an SVA with seatbelts mounted to the rear (assuming the boot edge is "beefed-up" with angle iron etc). Is it to do with heights or is it a strength thing?

This is something i need to deal with as I have to get an S7 through an SVA at some stage

Why won't the S7 pass an SVA with seatbelts mounted to the rear (assuming the boot edge is "beefed-up" with angle iron etc). Is it to do with heights or is it a strength thing?

This is something i need to deal with as I have to get an S7 through an SVA at some stage

Go to our website (link on this post) then go to SVA manual, find item 5 and 5a, (seatbelts & anchorage) it tells you that the top anchorage has to be no more than 840mm from the "reference point" I did have fun finding the reference point, but it's annex 4 of item 5 (not 5a)

Now if you measure the monocoque reference point to the rear boot wall, it comes to something like 1200mm, that's why everyone who's put an "older" monocoque car through SVA has had to beef up the roll-over bar to 50 mm to a point where a 40mm x 40mm square tube can be welded across to then fit the seat belt top anchors to similar to the 2B.

They also have to secure the bottom of the roll-over bar to the floor properly, the best way to do this is to machine a plug to go into the rollover bar ends, with a minimum of 12mm tapped hole in, weld them into the roll-over bar, fit studs into the tapped holes with locktite, drill the floor, then using a pair of plates around 4" square for each leg, sandwich the floor.

(look how they say that the seat anchorages should be strengthened, and go bigger than that.) :)

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Steve Allen

Just for the record i have managed to get two of the older type S7 through the SVA, a 3A and a S72, as Jim stated you need to get the seatbelts beind the seats, on both occasion i have welded in a cross brace between the existing RH rollbar, then attached the seat belts to this. I didn't in either case increase the diameter, let me know if you require some pictures

Guest robinj66

Front end What front end? the last owner thought it would be a good idea to cut out the"cross-member" at the front (behind the suspension subframe). Will have to start bending some stainless and reinforcing with good angle-iron :o

Robin.Pictures emailed.best of luck these cars now need a lot of work on the front to pass the SVA. Let me know if you need any more info.

Steve

Could you post a pic on here? I'd like to see it... I was going to add a 50mm box secion between the exmo rollbar to add seatbelts.