Sva Test Result

eddieH

Hi,

Our 2B/4 passed its SVA this morning at Nottingham :D . The tester was very thorough but fair. He pointed out a few bits that required slight modification and gave us some time after the test to sort these out. It was mainly non-radiused edges which required a bit of trim or self-amalgamating tape to ensure that they were rounded. One thing that suprised me was that pipe-lagging foam is not suitable for covering bits on the suspension or the indicator extensions so I had to remove the covers. They were replaced with lengths of water pipe which will be much more durable. Also, the pin which the fuel filler cap locks against was accidentally forced out during the test. Fortunately it didn't go into the tank! I managed to replace it and use some epoxy resin to hold it in securely.

By some stroke of luck, the man who does the built up inspections for the DVLA was at the SVA station this morning and so he did the BUI there. I then went to the local DVLA office and waited for ages to speak to somebody. He hadn't registered a kit car before and wasn't too sure of the procedure. He said I needed an MOT certificate before it could be registered. I told him I was quite certain that I wouldn't need one for three years. He took all the relevant paperwork I had with me (and a cheque for a not inconsiderable sum!) and said it should be sorted in a couple of days (unless I needed an MOT certificate). On the way home we popped back to the SVA station to clarify with the DVLA man there whether we needed an MOT or not. He said that we definitely don't and that he will sort our paperwork out on Monday. So, it should be fully legal by the middle of next week :D !

I'd just like to say thanks to all of you in RHOCaR for all of your advice and expertise. We wouldn't have got this far (we probably wouldn't have even started!) without the club and its members. My brother Rob and I have really enjoyed almost every minute of the build and we're looking forwards to seeing you all out and about on the roads.

Unfortunately Rob couldn't be at the test today to see it pass - a real shame considering how many hundreds (if not thousands) of hours of hard work he's put into the car - thanks Rob!

All the best,

Edward

Guest timswait

Nice one, well done. :D :D

enjoyed every minute of the build

It's amazing how quickly you forget all the bits that don't fit, bruised knuckles, cut fingers, etc when it's finished isn't it? ;)

Hi,

thanks for all of your replies! I got a phone call yesterday to say that the paperwork was ready for collection or it could be posted out. I didn't trust Royal Mail with my driving licence, insurance, tax disc etc... so we went to the DVLA office this morning to pick it all up. I'm going out to get the plates made up and get a tax disc holder in a few minutes so it will all be legal and roadworthy! I can't wait to take it for a drive again although I'll have plenty of excuses to get it out the garage - all my friends, family and neighbours are queueing up for that ride I promised them over a year ago :rolleyes: .

Tim - I'm sure we'll have plenty more cuts and bruises as soon as we start upgrading / modifying bits - it isn't a proper day's work if you don't need the first aid kit :lol: !

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Edward

• 2 weeks later...

hi edward

great result vindicates all those long cold nights in the garage .

ps 2b pillock passed sva yesterday.

two more happy hoodies now,

well done

regards graham