Lightweight Chassis Improvements

Guest zoomzoom

Guest timswait
i have spoken to trevor and had a very good idea who the sva inspector who failed it was

Was it the short guy who failed mine (twice!)? Again seatbelt mounts were an issue, also he was too short to reach the handbrake! <_<

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest keithscc362

Gent's

can anybody advise me on the best bonding agent and where to get it. :blink:

I like the idea of closing the top box section and adding further box sections around the cockpit,

it makes you wonder how robin hood got there car through the S.V.A. ( has anybody asked them)

thanks

Keith

Guest chris brown
Gent's

can anybody advise me on the best bonding agent and where to get it. :blink:

I think Sickaflex is the best there are several types for different jobs do a search on Google there is lots of info around.

Guest ScotMac

I use Fusor automotive adhesive. It is used by auto repair shops to bond car body panels, instead of welding. Here is a link to where i previously discussed them:

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?show...44&hl=fusor

And here is a link to the manufacturers website:

http://www.lord.com/tabid/3400/Default.aspx

And here is a link to where you can purchase them on the web (at one point i think i also found that they were available in the UK):

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

(Do a seach for "fusor". I prefer the 112b slow-set (70 minutes work time, versus 40 for 108b))

Cheers, -sm :)

Keith,

I have been using Evostik Nail&Seal.

It has a tensile strength of 1.5 to 1.8 MPa (eg 150 to 180kg to seperate 10 square cm) and is resistant

to water, oil, petrol and other chemicals and can be painted. It does not shrink, so panels do not get

warped on setting. And it's available from Focus, B&Q etc for about a fiver for 300ml.

In my experience, it's very easy to work with and the joins are very,very strong.

Pete :D

Guest timswait

Araldite 2015 is a good structural epoxy adhesive, we use it in the lab for bonding composites, should be equally suited for bonding aluminium. Can be obtained from Huntsman, I think you can get it in applicator tubes which mix the 2 components as you apply it too.

Don't forget the imporatance of surface preparation, it must be scrupulously clean. Acetone is a good degreaser, but you will also want to remove the surafce oxide layer with emery paper first.

Guest keithscc362

Thank you for that lads :rolleyes:

I intend going to rhsc on Friday are there any questions you would like me to ask?

Dont be shy I wont be.

Keep smiling peeps.

Keith

Guest ScotMac
Thank you for that lads :rolleyes:

I intend going to rhsc on Friday are there any questions you would like me to ask?

Dont be shy I wont be.

Keep smiling peeps.

Keith

Ask them the obvious questions about the l/w (for you UKers benefit):

- Are they going to help the current owner get the l/w thru sva?

- Are they looking at how to strengthen it for the above, and are they going to resubmit their l/w

Ask them the question i did a year ago when i started thinking about this project....the alloy of aluminum used for the l/w panels. I won't be holding my breath awaiting an answer. :( :wacko: :(

Guest zoomzoom

What I heard on friday is...

L/W might be continued to be sold , maybe as a mk2 version..... (what this means I don't know)

Also heard...

L/W will not be sold for the present time as concentrating on the new hood but maybe will be some time in the future.

As for passing sva, well they believe plates at the seat belt mounts and at the rool hoops will be enough to pass, and that the general condition of the car taken to southampton may have had a hand in its failing sva.

As graham has said a few of us need to meet up and knock a few ideas about and see what solutions we come up with.

Marcus

Guest keithscc362

Hi Chaps,

I agree with both Marcus and Graham, we need to get together and sort these problems out as Robin hood wont accept there is anything wrong.

Any surgestions chaps I will travel down to meet you guy's if you give me a bit of notice to get the day off.

Keith. ;)

attention lightweight builders

there is a problem with the lightweight as is , it wont pass sva, remedies are required ?

i have some ideas ?good bad i dont know?

we kneed to sort this prob!

so lets get together have some beer and get some sort of solution ,the design seems fine 3 passed sva without tremendous mods 1 bad build, i as others have seen it ,it has soured the sva proces .

i believe that had the lightweight in question been submitted to sva in an appropiate condition ie not a rushed build it would have been ok.

passedsva

rhsc demmo

diyer

warick

the problem is that the die has now been cast in that vosa have failed a lightweight on chassis probs.

we have to submit a revised lightweight to vosa

i would be happy not to rip mine appart to carry out the mods but it has to be done the damage is done , and a solution is required .

i as a lighghtweight builder feel i have been left to sort it out +7

any help gratufully recieved

regards graham