Best Mods For An Engine

Ive only come on here a few times and I can't believe what Im reading.

This posting started off well with Simon asking for some help. Lots of contributions including hypermicks which seemed a bit long winded but at least he didn't start the insults, so why you getting at him Bill ?Jetski, you seem to be the real ar@:h*le. I can't see anyone else acting like you. Wise up and wind it in will ya.it gives this place a bad name.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jetskijase
Well i would just like to say that its opinions that count, and i appriciate everyones input, however i dont think we need to keep having a go at each other....... I have appriciated Micks comments as well as all of yours.

If we didnt have different opinions it would be a boring discussion, but i think this has got a bit out of hand, so lets get back to the great debate, as i am sure we have all learned things from this post!!

I hope.........

HI simon

I agree totally, people have differant opinions but they should not be rude about it, if you read through micks replys they are very rude and un called for.

It's prob just a shame that it's your thread that i read one too many of micks snotty replys and lost it on your thread. Sorry mate :rolleyes:

Satman mate, have a read first mate, i'am not an arsehole, and have been a member since sept 2003, so have seen alot on this board every day, if you have read threads that mick has been involved in you will undertand. this is the first outbirst i've had.

And as said before it's just timing that it had to be this thread that i had to express myself about mick being rude again.

That's the last guy's.

Cheers

Jase

Jetski, hypermick does come across a bit abrupt but what he says is pretty sound. He's got dozens of technical postings on here which have been well received He's obviously a well educated bloke who says it just like it is. Why blame him for the way he is I think he's genuinely helping here however he says it and Simon has said he appreciates it.

I think there's a bit of a lack of understanding here.

Am I the only one who can see this ? :huh:

Guest salty_monk

Waffle, it's all waffle.... :D plus it's boring... please play nicely everyone :lol:

Simon,

To try to help clarify (though I'm by no means an expert):

Head - I would follow Nigel's advice on the polishing/porting of the block. I can give you a PDF copy of "how to powertune the pinto" which explains in depth if you like.

Find a good engineering shop & have the valves 3 angle cut after doing your own polishing. Go up a size if you can afford the new valves. As you will be doing that right at the end, no problems to whip the head off your existing engine (as I think you're doing the mods on a spare??) & have a measure up of the block. Put a straight edge across the top of block & measure with feeler gauge with piston at TDC. if 20thou (0.5mm) below face or similar you should be ok to skim 40 thou (1mm) or even 60 thou (1.5mm) off the head. Budget around £200 (just a guess)

Cam - Kent FR32 & Piper 285 are virtually identical in lift & duration, so see what you can get at a good price. Budget about £200

Vernier Pulley - you will need one. Nigel has a good link to a place that sells them for a good price or they occasionally come up on Ebay or here. Budget about £50

Ignition - Send your dizzy off to the guy on http://nw.rhocar.org - he will re-condition & adjust the advance curve for you. Budget £50 OR get a megajolt kit - Budget £200 incl pulley, sensors etc.

Carbs - Pretty much any carbs off a 600cc sports bike upwards will do with a choke size of 36mm to 38mm. Speak to MNR & Boggs Brothers for ideas but I think all the Kawasaki ZX6R (Ninja) upwards carbs will do (waits to be corrected) Budget around £50 - Ebay.

Manifold - Boggs Brothers, around £175 or you can make your own from an injection manifold & samco hoses (like takumi) or you can fabricate your own in Ally or steel. If you can't weld pay someone else to do that bit... there's not much to them. Use a gasket as a template for the flange. (You could file it all out by hand but be quicker to get one milled, however this would make boggs price seem reasonable...

Exhaust - RH 4-1 manifold, no real power increase but it looks better... budget £130. New re-packagble silencer from Wunoff or similar budget £200 or have one made up locally (£100 - £200).

Re-jet & tune up - budget around £100. You will need a good rolling road session after all the mods. There is a place in Essex as well as Boggs that seem to do a good Job.

Power Output after Mods - approx 115 - 120 BHP at the rear wheels (approximately 140bhp flywheel).

I know a lot of owners who have gone this route (mostly with twin webbers) with these sort of power figures. Nigel was one.

Good luck & remember it's meant to be fun & you're meant to get stuck in & have a go at it. Prob plenty of peops locally who can give you a hand, eat you hobnobs & drink your tea.... most importantly, if not sure ask, you generally get the answers even if we sometime get some flannel to work around :D

Sorry for huge post, hope it helps. Let me know if you want a copy of PDF, it's 30 odd mb so we'll have to do it through MSN messenger or similar.

Cheers,

Dan :)

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi every one

like Dan says

please try to play nicely. :blink: :)

We are here to help each other and take the mick out of each other in a FUN WAY!!!!!!!!!!

Ian J

Guest jetskijase

Dan spot on mate,

Quick question, is there an easy way of telling what compression ratio you have??

I had my head off flea bay so don't now it's history,

Was thinking along the lines of a compression test? certain psi corrosponds to a rough cr??

Iknow about the liquid filling etc but just wondered if there's an easy way. :blink:

If the head is modified in any way then the only real way is to pippet the head while it is off, to get the combustion chamber cc, then you can use different head gaskets to raise or lower the compression ratio a little. Unlikly that the block has been decked but if you have to take the head off then you can measure how far down the bore the pistons are.

In most cases the head is only skimmed to make it flat, if it has been skimmed to increase compresion then you will be able to see that the sparkplug hole is closer to the head face.

Skim head 1.5mm and use a Felpro, for the 2.0L or the Adjusta for the 2.1L and you will have around 10.5 to 1 ideal for 97 octane.

Now lets stop the bickering and get on with passing on what we know for the benefit of others.

Guest Ian & Carole

Well said Paul

Now lets stop the bickering and get on with passing on what we know for the benefit of others.

Thats what we are here for :o

Ian J

For anyone who would like to know this

To calculate the compression ratio of your engine.

Fluid volume (in cc) of piston area at TDC to block face + fluid volume of combustion chamber, divided into the cylinder volume + 1.0 = CR.

EXAMPLE

5.0cc +55cc =60cc. 500cc cylinder volume / 60 = 8.33

8.33 +1.0 = 9.33: 1 C/R

:D

Guest Battery Bill

Mike

so why you getting at him Bill ?Jetski, you seem to be the real ar@:h*le. I can't see anyone else acting like you. Wise up and wind it in will ya.it gives this place a bad name.

Is that meant to calm the situation?

6 posts and already abusing people you don't know :blink:

Oops I can feel the stabbing from the Locost site as I speak :lol: :lol: :lol:

No hyper, I thought everyone knew that, just put it on case they forgot.

I'm just your avaerage dumbo, me. Thick git really, couldn't read and write till I was 14, still not sure if Im gettin it write sometimes. :p :lol: :lol: :p

Know bits about cars though, and sh@**ing. Missus says I'm a top man in that departmint.