Warped Discs Again

BigLee

With all the talk on warped discs - I thought I'd ask advice.

Just bought a new tintop. Excellent car. test drove it and seemed fine. Done less than 9000 miles from new. This week was first trip down the motorway and I get a brake judder at around 75ish which is worrying.

Nothing under 60mph and improves over 75 ish . Just between 70-80.

Could it be anything other than warped discs. Car is still under manufacturers warranty and selling garage (Car supermarket) also has short warranty.

What do you reckon chaps. Should I kick up a fuss?

Cheers Lee

Hi Lee

The way to tell if it is brake judder is, If the brake pedal moves up/down under braking? it is.

If its the just the steering wheel that shakes its normally only wheel balance (optimum speeds 30/35 ,70/75 mph) try brakeing at higher speed (off road!!!) and see if the judder comes in and goes away through the 70/75 speed range.

Cheer Kevin

Guest Fred2b

Warped discs I have been told are caused by hard braking and then sitting with your foot on the brake instead of using the handbrake. This causes hot spots on the disc where the pad is gripping - result warped disc.

Sounds like it could be the cause?? :blink:

Sounds to me like something is out of balance. I had this problem on my Pug... at 65mph and above there was a bad vibration which went away as the speed increased further. I swopped the front wheels to the back and there was a vast improvement. When I got the tyres changed and rebalanced the vibration went completely.

Jon