Anti Theft Device

Guest turbo dave

Guest ScotMac
yeah it is compulsory for SVA. and i quote,

"...can be mechanical, such as a steering wheel lock, or electrical, both providing that it is in addition to the ignition switch. you must not be able to start the engine with the device set or engange it whilst the engine is running, neither must it act on the braking or steering."

So if your using the sierra steering column, it alreadsy exists! otherwise a standard immobiliser will be fine:D

Shane

Wow, the uk legislates (sp) theft protection? Seems a bit OTT. If someone wants to let their car be stolen, just let them!!! ;) I think of it as an evolutionary thing. Your stupid enough to let your car be stolen, so you can't go out on dates (i'll pick you up on my bicycle?), ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is next? Mandatory seat-belt, helment, and birth-control laws (w/ castration as the penalty)? Oh, right, they already have those...well maybe not the last one!!! :ph34r:

Oh, sorry, i think i went a bit off topic...

Guest salty_monk

Perhaps that's what they were looking for with the camera then... :D Nothing to do with a Bayonet... would have to wireless though as I didn't see you trailing any at Llandow :lol:

Guest ScotMac
Think they are more worried about stolen vehicles taking up police time perhaps... after all the government (us) have to pay for that.

:)

Right....so instead, they should just note whether there is an anti-theft device at reg/sva time. Then, when it gets stolen, if it didn't have one, the only person that tries to find-it is the stupid/date-less guy that didn't install the anti-theft device!!! ;)

Guest salty_monk

Ohhh if he was in car at the time it would have been hidden by his seat....

Bill I seem to remember getting similar style points :D to your good self whilst I was driving a shopping cart..... was fueled by a damn good breakie though :D :wub:

When I was on traffic years ago my crewmate took his wife out for an anniversary meal and on the way home they decided to park up at one of their old courting haunts. He had recently bought a new golf Gti, and they decided to , well, christen it for want of a better phrase.

After the deed was done they found that the car would not start and (rather embarrassingly) had to call out the AA and then a recovery truck to get the car out of the country lane.

He and I spent the entire day systematically checking every component of the ignition system, but had to give up in the end. He eventually called out an auto-electrician who found a tiny immobiliser switch hidden underneath the dashboard. Seems my friend's wife had inadvertantly kicked this at some stage :wub:

Or maybe banged the back of her head on it!!! :lol:

:o Thats a terrible sexist post Enforcer unless of course she was in the driving seat :o (for the driving I mean not the rumpy-pumpy :blink: and what male owner of a brand spanking new Golf GTI :wub: is going to let the Missus drive it unless he's paralytic :wacko: in which case the christening wouldn't have gone too well..........but I digress)(jealousy realy). The micro switch is below the dash on the drivers side in my occasional golf. So it was probably him scrabbling about with his kecks round his ankles who hoofed it. But I stand to be corrected.

Just remember, a gentleman always undoes his belt. :rolleyes:

Nigel

Please note, this is a terrible sexist post.

• 2 years later...
Guest george_lincoln

So, time to bring an old thread back from the grave!

So SVA required an anti-theft device in addition to the ignition key, I looked at the draft IVA manual as linked from the MEV site, and what a surprise, the rules still exist. Something that disgruntles me a little, is I would like not to have a conventional ignition switch, which means there won't be a steering lock.

Having fitted one of the cheapy maplin alarms to my current mass produced motor, I'd be happy to use its immobilisation as an anti-theft measure, however the IVA manual made me think that wouldn't be good enough, and I would need a thatcham approved immobiliser professionally fitted with certificate. Am I right?

I think from memory it needs a removeable component, such as a key. A hidden switch is not good enough on its own(but a good addition). A battery cut off switch with the big plastic key is ok as the key is removeable. There are some good ones that when you remove the key a small fuse is left so your clock or radio code still runs but if someone tries to start it the fuse will blow.

In terms of general security ive heard some people drill through the handbrake handle and fit a padlock to stop either thieves or passerbys letting the handbrake off.

Ive always thought it would be cool to get an old mobile phone and chop it about so that the alarm is connected to the phone so if it goes off it sends a premade text to my phone. you could then connect the speaker of the phone in the car to a noise activated switch so you phone it back and turn your engine off :) although you'd have to make sure the noise switch was set to a specific ring tone so an accidental wrong number wouldnt turn your engine off ^_^

Whether the government would think you were a terrorist threat and blow you car up is another thing to be considered...

hth