Gillingham Sva

Bob Tucker

Hi,

I have been helping a friend get his part built JBA ready for SVA over the past few months.

As per my previous experiences, the car was insured and driven there.

Well it passed first time after a few minor mods during the test.

BUT on the way back, having driven 70 odd miles, and being 1/2 mile from home, we got the blue flashing lights, and pulled over. We had the insurance document, the SVA booking form, the MAC pass certificate, and all the donor documents, receipts etc.

To be fair they said they were not from "traffic", but never explained what they were.

They were adamant that the car could NOT be driven without being registered and displaying plates.

They didnt accept that the "MOT" certificate showed anything. (They had never seen a MAC)

They didnt accept that the car was insured just on the VIN No.

They called the local traffic boys who hadnt got a clue either, and refused to come out.

After lots of toing & froing, and a totally wasted 30 minutes they decided to "Let us off!!" since we were so near home.

The question is, is there anywhere in an official manual or website that I could have directed them to that states clearly that the car can be driven to and from an SVA test?

Cheers, Bob

Guest rimexboy

Hi Bob

tut tut you really are a pair of bad boys, well done on the pass more great news for you is i got that paperwork on saturday and will take a copy fill it in and send a copy to you and back to the sender...

please be good if you can

regards simon

Oh dear.

To be fair police officers do not get trained in every eventuality they will come across and certainly the registration of a kit car and its movements on the highway are not something that many (if any) officers (including traffic) will experience. Having said that I will say that officers do not like to be seen to be ignorant of rules and regulations and don't like to be told they are wrong :wub:

I believe the rear of the SVA booking form gives the confirmation that the vehicle may be driven to and from the SVA. I would suggest that officers are either shown this or are politey asked to consult and verify this with VOSA. Of course, you will be entirely polite and co-operative and would of course be willing Officer to produce all the said paperwork to the police station within seven days. ;)

Even if you found yourself being reported for offences, don't get into an argument about it. You could start by writing a letter to the local Criminal Justice Support Office (Police admin) who will be turning the officer's paperwork into a summons. This would nip any prosecution in the bud before it gets to court. ;)

To be fair, there was no name calling or stroppiness on either side.... :p

Also Roy (the JBA owner) and I are both from a generation that still holds a certain respect for the

BIBs who do an almost impossible job....

So this wasnt by way of complaint....I know from first hand experience that the Gillingham BIBs are fully aware of the SVA rules. As I was driving down the M20 for my SVA in torrential rain, no windscreen, crash hat, soaked to the skin, a motorway patrol car passed me, slowed down to drop back alongside, the passenger laughed, mouthed "SVA?", I nodded, he laughed again, gave a thumbs up & drove on. :lol:

Just a heads up so anyone else can make sure they have the correct paperwork to satisfy a genuine enquiry.

I'll take a look at an SVA booking form. Obviously the original went to Swansea to make the booking, so we didnt have that to show them...

Many thanks Simon, I'll be looking for the postie...

Bob

Ok guys, here is the official authorisation, issued by VOSA, and you need to look at the top LH corner of page 9.

Link = SVA booklet.

You will be allowed to travel (within the UK) to and from the test centres for the prearranged

appointment without the vehicle having been registered and licensed and,

necessary, to and from a pre-arranged appointment at a garage or other place where

modifications are done to enable compliance with the requirements. You are responsible

for ensuring that you have insurance cover and that the vehicle complies with the

requirements of the Motor Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (NI) 1999 and the

Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations (NI) 2000 when driven to and from the test location.

Otherwise, driving or keeping an unregistered vehicle on a public road is an offence.

I would suggest that builders print the whole thing off to show the untrained BiB should they get stopped. (complete with internet address for it)

Jim

NOTE; Nigel has pointed out that this is a northern Ireland document, the only other one that we can find on line, is very similar, but can be read to only apply to imports, so I will make enquiries and find out. (Thanks Nigel)

At least I know there is one Team of officers in Telford who are fully au fait. Lord knows I've bored them all to tears about it long enough! :lol:

As I was driving down the M20 for my SVA in torrential rain, no windscreen, crash hat, soaked to the skin, a motorway patrol car passed me, slowed down to drop back alongside, the passenger laughed, mouthed "SVA?", I nodded, he laughed again, gave a thumbs up & drove on. :lol:

:D

Guest Tiger Cat E1

Before my SVA I asked a police officer on another site and he said that the kitcar would need to be on a trailer, emailed VOSA to see what they said and they told me it is legal to drive straight to the SVA and back home and if it passess can be driven down to the DVLA legally for inspection (printed that out and took it just incase), told the officer on the other site then my post on the forum disappeared :lol: