Lightweight

Guest gdc

Ok guys,

I went to an SVA test today with a mate passed first time with his MK Indy.

I had an informal chat with the tester with regard to any direction from VOSA head office about general technical issues on cars.

He said the last thing they received was regarding the lightweight and a few points to look out for, no mention was made to massive modifications or references to no lightweights being passed. He has passed a lightweight and was very happy with it. (this was NOT Nottingham SVA station, and was not my car).

What it does mean is that another lightweight is SVA'd and on the road somewhere in the midlands that i don't think any of us knew about.

I hope this infomation is useful guys and gives you a better feeling.

At the end of the day if the car is built to a good professional standard i believe the car will pass on general design. I think the testers get a good or bad feeling about the car presented very early on!

I have stayed fairly silent about this, BUT having seen the lightweight car that failed at Southampton up close, it was built to what i would say a shocking standard and this has caused maybe the design of car to be unjustly questioned and be put in the spotlight with VOSA.

Simon

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the info simon

i was at gbsc today collecting the new avos , and iwas told of your post ,it was a long 2 hours to get home to read it,

it is good positive news at last, and should ease the uncertanty of the the past couple of months.

at gbsc richard took the time to show me the hood demo that their getting ready for the next

show it is a very well thought out design and the old short cuts ie old rhsc bodges have gone ,

they can only do well with it and i for one wish them well

regards graham

Guest zoomzoom

Graham,

you've been back at least 1 hour now, are the shocks fitted and the car on the road?

can't slow down now after diyers good news its full speed ahead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marcus

I was the guy in the MK Indy and I can confirm what "DIYER" has said as I was standing on the spot.

The tester said and I qoute that the Lightweight he tested was a "minter".

I must confirm unfortunately that in my opinion the detailed photos I have seen of the Lightweight that has caused all the stir, is that the build quality of that car has done all of you guys building them no favours.

Thanks to Simon for riding shotgun for me this morning.

By the way the tester said that my car was "perfect" and that I should take up SVA pre. Inspections as a living. "No thanks" 1 is enough

Steve.

Edited by stevec

excelent news and thanks for the post

i still have to make the brackets marcus and am waiting for the rear springs hopefully she will have 4 good legs in about a week ,

new webber 45s ordered yesterday this except for the paint to the crappy f/glass ,taken to body shop monday,completes my rather expensive shopping list!

going to be a lean xmas!!!ere indoors yet to find out !

regards graham

ps well done steve

suspension brackets all made and 3 fitted gbsc cocked up and supplied the wrong springs ??

i have had a quiet word should be here next week

the seats are in all internal trim complete .

need longer belt bolts as the additional material below roll bar to thick now ,

i used simons designe for rear shock mounts (ta simon) and they work now making the shock upright

and not at a strange angle as per standard .

front shock mounts

top changed to do away with the weak spindle arrangement ,constructed from flat5mm and bent to fit between top boxes and with rear stays to stop rotation ,with 2 top shock support legs added at a point to keep the shock straight.the bottom mounts cut from 3mm sheet and formed to fit below bottom bone and with 2 uprights to accept new avo shock the origonal shocks and powder coated springs surplus to requirements

if you want info or pics e mail at gdcheating@hotmail.co.uk

regards graham

will keep you informed of the build unless asked not to

will add pictures when complete

Guest ScotMac
suspension brackets all made and 3 fitted gbsc cocked up and supplied the wrong springs ??

will keep you informed of the build unless asked not to

Graham, definitely keep us informed...the sharing of info helps all us l/w builders and is what the forum is all about.

Do you have photos of how you converted the suspension mounts (front and rear)? My visualization skills are lacking...sorry.

Also, are you switching from the bushes to bearing for the coilovers? I am switching to AVO DA2000's for the front w/ spherical bearings. It looks like if i use the normal top mount, i will only need to shim the bearing hole a bit. Don't know what i going to do for the bow-tie in the bottom though. Did you get a bow-tie w/ yours? From AVO?

Thanks, -sm

hi scott

re the bottom bow tie its in the bin!

i have cut a piece of 3mm steel the shape of the underside of the bottom bone within the welds bent it to pick up on the innermost bpttom stub assay bolt from that assay in place under bottom bone, through the square hole welded 2 uprights to take te bottom support of the avo,the bottom support of the avo requires a bit of grinding to fit dont get it to hot !

using bushes all round !

the bottom support bushing to the front has been reduced to keep the bolt and thus the hole size to a minimum as resulting room is limmited.

i am unable to post photos as the man that can is playing hockey tonight (i can only just type)

the top mount

visulize the top box sections looking directly end on

a bar connecting them

bent down each end as a pickup to the top bone supports

behind that as support and at a right angle another bar but this one bent back to pick up the box sections further inboard to stop rotation of the bracket to be bolted to the box

at a point that clears top wishbone inner top cross bar 2 pieces of 3mm flat project towards the wheel to be fixed in the best position to make the shock as upright as pos and drilled to take shock top bolt

easy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i will post photos asap

diyer has photos or rear top mount

regards graham

zoom zoom has photos he is good with putor

ps my finger hurts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest zoomzoom

Graham,

Nice work, very interested in your front brackets.

Sounds much better than my first design, but I still have'nt made mine up yet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marcus

P.S. ordered the alloy plates for the seat back today (at last)

marcus

i will post photos as soon as himself gets back from hockey prob tomorrow

ps its a take on your thoughts and a tweek from me

regards graham

ps if your arround weekend pop in and we'll sort them out,

well you can make them and i will welde them up

ps if its fine well go for a blast in the 2b