Painting The Roll Bar And Some Of The Chassis

Guest tom2b

As some of you know my car is off the road for the winter, replacing the gearbox with a recon unit, rebuilding the engine, fitting 40s and trying to get it all looking nice. The engines nearly done so the next phase is touching up the chassis tubes in the engine bay, today i noticed that throughout the car rust is coming through the chassis, even on the roll bar :wacko: I didnt paint the chassis as i bought it part built but it doesnt look like hammerite. Im planning on touching up the chassis tubes with QD90 rust prime ( its just like red oxide primer) and QD90 black metal paint for the top coat. What can you all recommend for the roll bar or will i be ok with what im using for the chassis?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom

I asked the very same question a couple of months back:

Roll over bar paint

I've gone for the Plastikote 'Metal Protekt' gloss black and primer. Depending on how tough it is I may do a couple of coats in clear lacquer, but I think it should be ok. I'm fitting a Surrey too...

Paint.jpg

I was considering the Epoxy rollcage paint that CBS do, but I didn't want a satin finish.

Ive bought a halogen heater for a tenner, its got 3 x 400w bars and one bar uses 3p of electric an hour so you can leave it on all night and it costs nowhere near as much as a fan heater or you can turn it on full for 9p an hour. ive used one whilst painting my engine etc and its really done the trick

Guest peter2b2002

I used plastcote on my roll bar+ 3 coats of clear top coat, my surrey has not marked it yet after 2 years, but when i had press studs on the back these chipped the paint, the only thing i have noticed at last years Le Mans 30deg. + with the surrey on , it left an imprint of the fabric in the paint where it had pulled very tight on the ends of the roll bar, a bit of t cut sorted them out.I sprayed mine during the winter with only a calor gas heater for heating

pete2b

Guest salty_monk

Mine has Hammerite on it & hasn't marked... but hammerite is hard (hence the reason it chips).

Plasticote might be softer.

Chassis paint will be fine. If you are worried about abrasion from the surrey then I don't think it will be a problem. You can always go over the top next year, it won't wear through, just might go dull.

Dan :)

Well I decided to go for it with the Plastikote today. One can of primer was enough for three coats of the roll-over bar, rear stays and the spare wheel hoop. Went on and covered really well. Four coats (two cans) of black top coat to follow. Again, went really well and covered beautifully without runs. Really deep shine. B)

As recommended by the manufacturer I decided to give this all a couple of coats of clear sealer. This is where it went wrong. Having applied 6 coats of paint perfectly I mistakenly assumed that the sealer would be of the same consistency. Wrong. It's much lighter/thinner. And after several careful hours I ended up with a load of runs on one part of the roll over bar. :wacko: I'm going to wait a few days until it's all hardened properly then the runs will have to be rubbed down and re-done. Oh well. :blush:

All in all it's good stuff, but don't get caught out by the sealer ;)

Rollover.jpg