Painting The Roll Bar And Some Of The Chassis

Guest tom2b

Looks nice rich. Hope you have more luck with the laquer. Im wary of laquer these days becuase of the reason you mentioned. Id spent ages refurbishing an alloy once, built up the gouge mark, rubbed it back, primed it, rubbed it back, primed it etc. After the final coat of colour match was on and it looked brilliant...........one coat of laquer ruined it :(

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good rich, its true that you build the car once for sva then once again to how you want it! Im not even going to post my pics as i find them depressing at the moment.

Im not even going to post my pics as i find them depressing at the moment.

me too - upgraditis - at least I had a running car - think it is more bits now than ever !!!! Got to be on the road for May.......

same here, it ran but now its dead, depressing thing is it looks like a driveable car until you take the bonnet off! The engine and gearbox are in my workshop (nearly finished) drivers footwell carpet is ripped out and the boot cover has been removed awaiting a full boot build Enforcer stylee. Got a load of bits lined up on my bench to be refurbished or fitted

The engine and gearbox are in my workshop (nearly finished)

Stop pansying about! This is the only essential point, get it fixed, and worry about the rest later! even if it is only a a quick drive between jobs it makes it a lot easier

I know i could put that back in and have a driveable car BUT i really should get the chassis repainted where its rusted and get the jobs i need done else i will just drive it and nothing will ever get finished!

• 9 years later...
Guest Knownothing

Folks

Decided to paint my rollbar and I am going with plastikote metal protekt As per Steve in Stockport and Enforcer. I have the metal primer at the ready but before I get going is there any further prep I should do to the bare metal. I plan to rub off the light surface rust with wire wool. Should I just use the wool dry or should I use some sort of anti rust substance to A) help get it off and B) be further line of of defence.

Thanks in advance.

Guest 2b cruising

If it is stainless?.. Don't use wire wool.

Even on mild steel you would be better with fine dry abrasive paper.

400 would do for final prep.

Bits of wire fall off the wool and you won't get them all off.

Even worse on stailess.

Once again with stainless use acid etch primer for best results but obey safety instructions.