Screeeech!

Guest matt black

Guest matt black

Hi fonts of all hood related knowledge

My engine has developed a continuous screeching noise much like the fan belt slipping. Its not the belt so I suspect its a bearing in either the alternator or perhaps the waterpump. (although with few limits to the extent of my ignorance it could be something else!!)

any thoughts on common causes of screeching noises welcome!

My understanding is that the water pumps are fairly bomb proof so the alternator seems most likely, is there a simple way to tell? It seems to be charging OK as no red light on the dash. If I take off the belt and turn it by hand will it make a noise (I suspect not) or might I feel 'roughness?

When I did the bulid in '99 following a tip from this site I put in an alternator from a bedford rascal due to the smaller diameter than the serria. Given that there may not be too many of these around these days is there a suitable alternator from a common car i could pick up from a scrappy

all suggestions gratefully recieved

Matt

On a mates pinto we had a water pump that kept seezing and making the screech but not all the time. This is fairly easy to diagnose the pump should turn freely by hand and so should the alternator. If theyre stiff the cream crackered.

Water pumps are fairly cheap so might be worth changing anyway if it is suspect. Alternators are not too pricey either, i picked up a brand new one recently for £42! from a local motor factors.

Is the belt old and worn ie could it be slipping?

Does the noise happen all the time? If so have you tried running without the fan belt for just a few seconds to see of the noise stops? If so could be something else.

One method my old man swears by is using a screwdriver with your ear against the handle, touching the screwdriver against various parts of the engine should easily isolate where the noise is soming from.

Andy

:lol: Sound advice - and not to be attempted whilst wearing a shirt and tie. I would also lock the garage door while you do this. It will negate the possibility of someone coming in and finding you on your knees bowing down before your car with a screwdriver wedged between your head and the alternator :lol: :wacko:

Guest timswait

Yes, both alternator and pump should turn freely with the belt removed, if they are the cause of the noise you will probaly feel it.

I think the Beford Rascal alt is the same as the very popular japanese ones that loads of people (including me) use. Toyota Corrolla, Daihatsu Charade, Suzuki Swift to name a few which seem to share pretty much the same alternator (they're the same externally anyway, except for having slightly different electrical connections).

:lol: Sound advice - and not to be attempted whilst wearing a shirt and tie. I would also lock the garage door while you do this. It will negate the possibility of someone coming in and finding you on your knees bowing down before your car with a screwdriver wedged between your head and the alternator :lol: :wacko:

Oh i should have added that make it a very long screwdriver and be careful where you stick it or other items of you or clothing :D Accept no responsibility for screwdriver injuries :p

Andy

Edited by AWhite

Guest matt black

Thanks team - all good advice. I took the belt off and ran the engine as suggested - noise stopped

thus could only be alternator, water pump or belt. Alternator span freely and pump seemed ok. Being lazy and an optimist I bought a new belt, seems to have done the trick.... if only all things in life could be solved by the easiest option.....

Thanx boyz