Pinto Engine Breathing

Guest tom2b

I understand the pinto is a heavy breather and needs the correct breathing system setup.

I have pictured my engine below for reference, i have got a breather elbow on the crankcase and a breather rocker cover cap, how should i route them to a catch tank. Do they just both go directly to a tank or do i need vacuum from somewhere?

My question might sound stupid but i really havent got a clue how to setup this all up!

fin3.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chris brown

The chances of getting that cap under the bonnet of a hood is fairly remote so if you want to pipe into a catch tank from the rocker cover you will need to somehow fit a union so as to be able to attach a pipe to the cover itself. As for the oil filler cap you need one from a carb version I believe (lower without the breather pipe takeoff).

I don’t know where you got the idea a pinto breaths allot! Well worn ones do but that goes for all worn engines. Yours after its rebuild should be very clean for many miles.

B*gger that cap is taller than the other one, will have to put the carb version rocker cap back on and graft a union in to the cover itself

I read that it breathes hard on the web somewhere

I've got the same cap and it fits under my bonnet. Get a breather hose adaptor from www.rallydesign.co.uk which just taps into the block and just put both pipes into a breather/catch tank. I've got a mocal tank with breather cap. Ther enot cheap but look nice.

Andy

I'm currently using a red bull can as a catch tank. The hose jams in where the ring pull thingie came out. It's very light and gives my engine wings! Its been there for a year plus so I should think about getting something better. A coke can maybe?

They have ally catch tanks in the local supercheap Auto for $40. Might just buy one.

Nigel

Have you got that sump breather going to vaccuum or open air ? ( the little can on the side below the carbs ).

You should be able to use a oil filler cap that breathes to atmosphere, and it will be much lower profile.

I have a breather from filler cap to catch tank, left hand side of block to catch tank and right hand side of block to catch tank with air filter Tee'd into the line.

The pipe from the standard block breather outlet ended up as 8mm far to small so used the tapped hole low down on the right rear for extra air flow this pipe is 13mm so is the pipe from the fillercap.

The filler cap on mine prevented the bonnet from closing so i cut up the breather cap and a standard cap and made a low profile breather cap.

You dont need a vacuum, the top of the tank and breather should be level or just above the top of the rocker cover. Some catch tanks don't have a filter/vent to air and this is what the Pinto needs. It will blow out extra presure through the filter and suck air back in when it needs it

This is what i have on the side of my engine, ive included a drawing as the photo i have isnt very clear. Its a home made elbow made from the old standard oil catch tank with the spring pressure regulator thing cut out

homemadeelbow.jpg

Think its time to buy an oil catch tank, no offence to anyone but after all the work ive done to tidy up my engine etc its a shame to have it piped into a drinks can. Although that will do temporarily. Wheres the best place to find a decent tank as all the ones i see are silly money