Fixing Down A Shower Tray- Help

baj25

I put a new shower tray in last night- its got adjustable legs so I put 18mm ply onto the existing t&g and screwed it all up, but one corner deflects down 0.5mm if I stand on it. The ply is pressing on a high spot on the t&g and the floorboard is moving a smidge. Any thoughts as to what I could use to fill the gap between ply and boards, to spread the load more evenly? I was thinking cement/sand screed, or self levelling goo, or even fibre glass resin. Need to get it sorted pronto!

TIA, Brian

Had a similar problem in my kitchen with some tiles not being laid level! Used some floor levelling compund. Dries hard as nails but it looks messy. So if the area is hidden then go for that stuff!! Having said that mine were out by more like 5mm than 0.5mm, so might be a bit too thick.

Edited by paulh

Thanks for the info Dave. I'm not sure if this would be OK for what I had in mind. I was thinking of something to apply on top of the floor boards before I put the 18mm ply on, then the 'stuff' would spread out under the ply as I press it down and any excess would squidge out of the edges. This stuff looks like it would expand so much it might lift the ply up! Any thoughts gratefully received!

thanks again, Brian

Is there anything wrong with just packing out the corner in question with an appropriately sized piece of material? Floor levelling compound etc does seem to be over-engineering the issue a bit, considering this is all going to be hidden under the tray anyway?

Guest peter2b2002

i had the same prob on a upstairs shower unit , i put 3/4 ply then 1 1/2" cement and sat the try on top, lasted about 4 years before the floor boards warped under the weight and the tray cracked, might be better to use some type of foam under it all to take up any warping

pete2b

Thanks for the offer of the gun Dave, much appreciated. I think I will try it with strong mortar first. I’ve never used foam for this type of application before and am a bit nervous that the foam might cure before I get the board on properly, leaving me with a BIG problem. And if I come up to yours, I’ll end up spending all night talking cars instead of doing what Mrs J wants me to do! (I'm working away for the next few weeks and need to get the shower back into service before I go)

Thanks again, Brian

Dave has the right answer. Foam the floor, lay your board on top, screw it down at about 200 m/m centres making sure its level. Retire to the arm chair with a large full glass and enjoy. The foam takes an hour or two to cure and any excess can be removed easily with a scraper. I would leave overnight, then pop on the tray and plumb in

Jobs a good un, and it will last.

HTH Paul

Ian,

that's the beauty of a kit isn't it, you can have it exactly as you want it!

I don't think there is any subject that a hoodie somewhere can't help you with. Great community.

Dave/Paul,

thanks again for the advice. In a rush so bought foam gun etc and job done as you suggested. Finished tiling at midnight last night. Glad to get in to work for a rest.

Thanks again, Brian

Guest captn Pugwash

do not foam the ply down get shut of it. Put the tray onto the legs that come with the tray, sit the tray directly onto the boards and adjust each leg down to the floor, fit screws throught the plastic leg base plate into the floorboards. silicone the tray to the wall before you tile the walls, then tile down to the tray, leave the grout out of the horizontal gap where the tile meets the tray, run white silicone around the tray where the tiles meet the tray.

SORT THE FLOORBOARDS OUT FIRST, IF YOU DONT YOU WILL GET A LEAK, TAKE IT FROM ME, IT ALWAYS HAPPENS, A GOOD SOLID DRY FLOOR IT THE ONLY WAY TO FIT A TRAY. IF YOU HAD A LEAK BEFORE YOU TOOK THE OLD TRAY OUT, EITHER FIT EW STORED DRY T+G TIMBER OR LEAVE IT TO DRY OUT.

iF STUCK GIVE ME A EMAIL, i WILL TALK YOU THROUGH IT, BEEN BATHROOM FITTING FOR 25 YEARS, SEE www.lancashirebathrooms.com

Dave

Captn Pugwash

Edited by captn Pugwash