Electric Fan On Pinto

where is the best place to mount the switch in the coolin system for a pinto

top of bottom hose?

i am not certain which way the water goes round , in or out at the top ?

but guess the fan should be in the oulet of the rad?

what sort of temperature should it switch at ?

out at the top (so cold water can sink to the bottom of the radiator), so you want it in the top hose, so you get a reading of the engine temp, not the cooled water temp.

I belive the Pinto fan should cut in around 88 degs

However if the fan has not got the guts to keep things cool you can set it to cut in earlier, some people have fan overide switches which keeps it runnig all the time the switch is on.

Guest crimewade
i know i will be knocked for it but i have my fan just wired up to a switch on the dash

just a quickie... have a premier loom, the purple power supply is the only bare wire ive got left, its the supply for the electric fan .... is there a switch chunky enough to me wire it straight through , or do i have to use a relay

Guest chris brown
i know i will be knocked for it but i have my fan just wired up to a switch on the dash

I used to have exactly the same until I arrived at Stafford boiling after being in a queue and forgetting to switch it on, at this I got allot of stick and Big Jim marched me to a stall which had the top hose adapters and I must admit it was a good idea never had a boil up since.

Guest salty_monk

There are some aftermarket fans you can run through a switch, very low current draw on startup, less than 5amps. Most are about 12amps I think.

Car builder solutions do them as do one other place. Look in my links folder on the Kent site & you'll find the web addresses.

The are pricey... I used to have one in my old car, wish I'd kept it now!!

Dan :)

Guest peter2b2002

i used the type that fits into the top hose set at 80deg, feeds the fan via a relay, fan usally only comes on when i have stoped the engine after a run, for even better cooling fix a shroud arround the rad, this winter i have had to fit a blanking plate infront of the rad as it is running too cold (40deg)

is this a first for a hood?

pete2b

Sounds like that to me too.

With the big RH supplied radiator I don't have any cooling problems. This time of year it runs at the bottom of the operating range. Heading into Le Mans in all the traffic for the drivers parade last year it was also at the bottom of the operating range. I did have the electric fan cut in temperature set a little too low though.

Guest Gregs

I modded the thermostat housing, rotated the output for the radiator and tapped the face to take a BMW thermoswitch - slightly ott I guess, but works well!

post-1734-1173548119_thumb.jpg