Zero 7

Guest ColinDenyer

The possible future problem both myself and a friend who is an engineer both worried about was the original wishbone bolts through box section ally, just did not like the idea. One big bang on the suspention and we worried that it would oval the holes easily.

Even with all GDC's mods, this area of the Lightweight still bothers me and whilst i always like the look and the concept, can't quite reconcile these worries.

hi paul

perhaps a further mod would be steel box for the suss supports ??

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest salty_monk

I guess that's possible as the Aluminium is soft.....

Easily fixable with some steel or stainless plates either side bonded & riveted on, it's only the shock loading on the edge that you're worrying about....

As a Product Designer one of the hardest things to get out of (everybody does it) is the tendency to "over engineer" absolutely everything.

Dan :)

Guest ScotMac
hi paul

perhaps a further mod would be steel box for the suss supports ??

Yep, that was my idea. A *stainless* steel box around the end of the square suspension members. I couldn't find one that fit, so instead i am using a 3-sided stainless "box". Should provide quite a bit of support.

Also, Tim, i understand your concerns. I believe the original l/w design was definitely lacking in strength in the areas i have strengthened it. However, it is well proven that a monocoque design is stiffer and lighter than steel space-frame. It is just a question of how well we l/w builders can combine the rh base w/the necessary strengthening. Note, all of the strengthening i have done is via 6061-t6, and the automotive strength metal glue i am using does require prep, but nowhere near the amout of prep you stated.

Dan, my l/w box was nowhere near optimized for space, but it was quite large. The EXACT dimensions were: 9' x 4' x 4'. I think you could take advantage of the "space" in a space frame to be able ship a space frame based locost fairly easily.

Cheers, -Scot :)

Guest Drewsus

Hi, I think it looks great and looks like you get more for your money than the origanal lightweight.

Dan I know you are are looking at it from a export point aof view but realisticly how many really leave the UK?

Drew

P.S But you £20 I can get you 2B in a box that big!!!!! I'll Even put the Mig in so you can put it back together! ;) :o

Guest diyer

Well i guess the jury is still out on us lightweight crew (eh Graham).

Time will tell i guess, but we all know there is now an upgrade path by panelling a light space frame chassis as in the zero 7.

Lets not panic too much!

Simon

hi fellas, not been on here in a long long time, car is still sat in the garage waiting for the finishing touches, but really like the look of the 07 kit, ive built 2 of those space frame chassis and can tell you, they are light and very strong. that car will be awesome. dont forget though, manufacturers spend millions on testing of production cars and still get it wrong, all of my new cars have been recalled!! RH are cheap because they skip a major part of this process and trust that the builders have enough nouce to sort out the niggles themselves, this is the spirit of the hoodie, lets not rip into them too much as the value for money with this kit is second to none and if they did do months of testing and scrutineering would you then foot the bill for this in the way of paying a 5 or 6 grand for the kit?

imho

steve

hi

at the end of the day and my car suposedly has fallen appart.

i can for £1800 buy a new tub with a (stronger chassis)transfer the bits and be back on the road .

i do not however think this will happen if i am wrong will you all please sing up at the back at my funeral.

cos if my car disintegrates i am dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats the suposition re the origonal lightweight is going to fall appart . its only suposition.

lets see over the coming months / years how these porly designded and built cars last.

regards lightweight crew member

graham

pi ed off why should i be your only rubbishing the car i have just svad.

and shouldt we as lightweights be posting in the lightweight area?

seems like we are getting a bit of a raw deal down here

or is it just me?????????

ohh and i ant panicking i have complete faith in my reinforced and sorted lightweight

Guest chris brown
i have complete faith in my reinforced and sorted lightweight

And so you should have Graham I suspect those who are all gloom and doom haven’t had a good poke around your car. As far as I can see there is no reason why it shouldn’t last just as long if not longer than as a car built with a 25mm square section steel space frame chassis as they have there problems i.e. rusting inside the tubes no matter how you try to treat them there always is places that you can’t get at (speaking from experience with previous cars)

cheers chris

i was feeling lonely down here away from my lightweight section

not used to being away from home.

regards graham

ps i am not realy a bitter and twisted person.

Guest daywalker

do you know what the "cockpit" deminsions are i am 1.8m tall and 16.2 stones and i was wondering if i will fit in the chassis comfortably. how wide is the drivers compartment from foot peddle to the seat back