Changing The Orientation Of An Engine?

Guest Chris Webb

Guest Chris Webb

Hello everybody,

Well i've done it! I've commited myself to a V6! I'm quite excited but at the same time very nervious! why dont many other people have V6's???

Does anyone know how or where i can find out how to change the orientation of a Vauxhall Vectra 2.5ltr V6 from east to west , to north to south???

Also does anyone know of anyone in the area (PLYMOUTH) that steamcleans engines?

Cheers

Chris.

You will probably need an adaptor plate made up to bolt to the block with a second set of holes to bolt to the bellhousing of the gearbox you are going to use, the type 9 may not be to happy with the power and torque, T5 much stronger and better ratios.

Clutch will be a plate with the same splines as the gearbox mated to a cover with bolt patern to match the flywheel, the clutch release arm will be matched to the gearbox and the release bearing may have to be a modification. Starter motor will match the bolt patterns of the bellhousing but the gear must mesh properly with the flywheel starter ring.

Nothing is impossible but you should research this particular problem well, some one somewhere has done it before.

As for jet washing, get out the local directory and have a ring around or kids paddling pool, Gunk and a patio washer.

Guest chris brown

Check the height of the Vauxhall V6 I think it may be rather tall to fit under the bonnet also the massive plenum would have to be dispensed with so supplying fuel would not be easy. As Mitch says the Ford V6 is a better bet.

why dont many other people have V6's???

imho its because you dont need a v6. v6 engines are slower revving, heavier, more torquey than a straight 4. a hood is a small light car so doesnt have the room for a v6 lump, needs a fast revving engine and benefits from horsepower over high torque as the car is so light. as with anything, there is a balance issue, i am against turbo engines in light cars as the boost in power when the turbo kicks in is hard to handle if you are going round a bend at the time. nothing beats a propperly tuned 4cyl engine in this type of car. For my build i have gone with the c20xe, this is a light engine with many inexpensive tuning mods on the market and standard with carbs is around the 180bhp mark. plently to get started with, and as it is so easy revving it makes for a fast car. also, power delivery is smooth so is more controlled.

obviously these opinions are my mine and each man to his own.

steven

Guest Chris Webb
Check the height of the Vauxhall V6 I think it may be rather tall to fit under the bonnet also the massive plenum would have to be dispensed with so supplying fuel would not be easy. As Mitch says the Ford V6 is a better bet.

Not to sound really stupid but what is a plenum? i really dont know? but to be fair my engine knowledge could be written on the back of a fag packet!

Guest chris brown

In basic terms the plenum chamber is an air collector it is there to try to smooth out the airflow and is the fuel injected equivalent of the carb inlet manifold. I’m sure someone will come up with a better answer.

BTW If you have ever changed the rear bank of plugs then all those pipes held on with those snap together clips are part of the plenum on the Vauxhall V6 Even mechanics in main agents fight shy of doing the job.

You may have noticed it is not my favourite engine and as for changing the cambelt well that’s a different story.