Nissan 200sx

Guest aso_06

Guest timswait
Could I not use the nissan engine, gearbox ecu etc but use the sierra for all the other parts i.e. suspension, brakes, steering, diff etc???

Exactly B) Even so there will still be extra effort involved. You'll have to fabricate new engine/gearbox mounts, arrange an exhaust system (is it a turbo, single or twin?), probably a bonnet bulge, you may find you have to chop some bits from the chassis in which case you'll need to fabricate other parts to put the strength back in, and then there'll be issues trying to fit steering shaft, alternator, brake cylinders and probably lots of other bits I've not thought of into a very tight space.

It's all do-able though and it would be a cracking car when you've finished! In fact, I want one too! :rolleyes:

You will have to sauce front uprights

What's that then Chris, do you want to cover them in Ketchup? ;)

Guest Stevieshood

I've got an CA18 S13 bottom end with inlet manifold in my garage if you want one to measure up ;)

After rebuilding my last S13 engine (when you buy a 200sx, you soon start to realise why they are so cheap :rolleyes: ) It worth pointing out that it is a big (length and height) and heavy engine. However, with exception to the big end shells and exhaust valves, it is almost bulletproof and the standard rods and pistons will take 350-400bhp if carefully set up.

You can fit a Garrett T28 from a SR20, but they are horribly laggy - my Turbo Dynamics T25 wasn't much better. A GT28RS would be my choice for this size of engine if I were to do it again.

The cams are very tame and the power band is narrow, so the engine feels rather "lethargic". A custom grind with a bit more duration and plenty of lift should sort that out.

Likewise, the gearbox is a real gem and apparently can handle anything you try and put through it (except sledgehammers).

You probably won't want the LSD though as its a big cast iron boat anchor. I would have thought a Sierra Cosworth one should be ok up to a point.

I've seen a company who do a custom loom for one of these engines. However, rottened away S13s are dirt cheap and the standard ECU is quite easily chipped by Horsham Developments http://www.h-dev.co.uk/index2.php?page=home so it may be cheaper to buy a whole car and strip the loom down.

I would have thought using a VAG 1.8T 20V, with a bellhousing adapter to mate it to a MT75, would be a better idea?

I've got an CA18 S13 bottom end with inlet manifold in my garage if you want one to measure up ;)

After rebuilding my last S13 engine (when you buy a 200sx, you soon start to realise why they are so cheap :rolleyes: ) It worth pointing out that it is a big (length and height) and heavy engine. However, with exception to the big end shells and exhaust valves, it is almost bulletproof and the standard rods and pistons will take 350-400bhp if carefully set up.

You can fit a Garrett T28 from a SR20, but they are horribly laggy - my Turbo Dynamics T25 wasn't much better. A GT28RS would be my choice for this size of engine if I were to do it again.

The cams are very tame and the power band is narrow, so the engine feels rather "lethargic". A custom grind with a bit more duration and plenty of lift should sort that out.

Likewise, the gearbox is a real gem and apparently can handle anything you try and put through it (except sledgehammers).

You probably won't want the LSD though as its a big cast iron boat anchor. I would have thought a Sierra Cosworth one should be ok up to a point.

I've seen a company who do a custom loom for one of these engines. However, rottened away S13s are dirt cheap and the standard ECU is quite easily chipped by Horsham Developments http://www.h-dev.co.uk/index2.php?page=home so it may be cheaper to buy a whole car and strip the loom down.

I would have thought using a VAG 1.8T 20V, with a bellhousing adapter to mate it to a MT75, would be a better idea?

Its the gtir t28 thats laggy on these engines not the s14 t28 so use one of these. i think the power band is fine with the s14 t28 17psi of boost from 2800revs to 7000revs is not small at all.

the stock cams for a UK spec CA18DET...

In lift - 7.8mm

Ex lift - 8.5mm

In duration - 240

Ex duration - 248

In opens - 0 BTDC

In closes - 60 ABDC

Ex opens - 59 BBDC

Ex closes - 9 ATDC

i dont think these are that bad to all tho the inlet duration and lift could do with a changing of which you can use the one out of the ca16de engine.

the gearbox is poo its made from mud peope have killed them with 270hp plus. again the s14 box is stronger but not by much. only the front bellhousing needs to be change but then your looking at a max of 350-400hp and that will die.

check out www.sxoc.com for all the information needs my friends. i have been a member of there for a few years and have had 2 200sx s13 my dad has has had 3 i know a good few things about them

here is a link to my 200sx s13 that im building http://www.sxoc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t...p;highlight=550

damo

Guest micky bigthumbs

Tim mine is a Z31 3ltre ZX turbo.... the weight is about the same as the pinto the gearbox is the same as cossie size etc but the engine and box are bomb proof the lsd is not much different to the ford and the drive shafts can be adapted easy.

the plenom box will st slightly high.. rather than chop my car and have it off the road i was after a S7 but i just got beaten on ebay :huh: the power these Loopy Japs kick out as standard is unbelievable and the only mods needed are ecu chips

Mick