Pinto

Adrian

i have a 2 l pinto, 32/36 weber carb with choke.

dizzy.points, correct,. timing set at 6 btdc.

when idling the temp is fine, however as soon as accelerate have started to overheat,or so the gauge says as its staright to the top of the red. as soon as back to idle temp drops.

have checked and the coolant levels are fine, oil fine.mixture is fine, have tried making it richer to no avail.

any idea on what it could be?

the temp sender is a black one, do these break ?

any idea welcome B)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when idling the temp is fine, however as soon as accelerate have started to overheat,or so the gauge says as its staright to the top of the red. as soon as back to idle temp drops.

have checked and the coolant levels are fine, oil fine.mixture is fine, have tried making it richer to no avail.

any idea welcome B)

do you have an electric fan and if so does it cut in when it says its overheating?

have electric fan and viscous, no problems with either, both spinning around merrily.

is the electric fan wired continuously or does it have a thermostatic switch?. I was just thinking that you would know if the engine is actually overheating if the fan comes on. If it is the temperature sender that is messed up then the fan will not be on as the engine will not really be overheating as the gauge suggests.

Probably not the same problem but my car was overheating for a while and i found it was a loose pipe allowing a little water to escape so it didn't get up to pressure, just tightened up the offending clip and is fine now.

best of luck

the electric fan has thermostat. works fine, the fan doesnt cut out at all.

have checked all pipes and all in order that i can see.

is baffling me that when idling is fine, just goes sky high when put under load. can rev the bejesus on the driveway and temp stays normal. is only overheating when moving.

will have to start from fresh in morning

:huh:

all the other gauges are fine, will check the wiring and see if that makes a differance.

verything works fine apart from the temp gauge, under load, straight to the top of the red and over the top. back to idle and drops back down slowly.

have found a spare sender unit in the box of bits, will try that as well

Guest Dan_Beeston

If it's moving up that quickly I would definately say it's something electrical, not the engine itself overheating.

There is too much thermal mass in an engine (especially a big cast iron Pinto) for it to change temp that quickly?

Plus, if it really was getting that hot, you would have coolant everywhere by now!

Check the 3 connections on the back of the gauge i had erratic gauges until i rechecked the connections, especially the earths.

Also had a problem with an inline oil temp sender, the inline adaptor in the oil line was not earthed as soon as i ran an earth wire to the inline adaptor BINGO it worked.

If your water temp sender is in the block make sure it has a clean earth to the block, the threads may be corroded or there may be a little to much PTFE around it.

will check the wires tomorrow, think i will have to take the wire from the sender all the way back to the gauge and check it.

patience wore out today so will go to it fresh tomorrow.

will let you know how i get on

have checked the wire well, no shorts, cuts or anything in the length of it

have noticed tho that when temp gets above n in nom it goes straight up to re when onder load, if you turn off, then just turn on ignition, the temp stays just under n when it always did before.

could this mean the gauge is b===d, just wodering if there is a fault at the top end of the gauge which only comes about underload- ie vibration-. is there a way of testing the gauge at all? or just get another one

have come to decision it is the gauge now!

B)

Guest chris brown
have checked the wire well, no shorts, cuts or anything in the length of it

have noticed tho that when temp gets above n in nom it goes straight up to re when onder load, if you turn off, then just turn on ignition, the temp stays just under n when it always did before.

could this mean the gauge is b===d, just wodering if there is a fault at the top end of the gauge which only comes about underload- ie vibration-. is there a way of testing the gauge at all? or just get another one

have come to decision it is the gauge now!

B)

It's got to be the gauge or the sender and unfortunately with those symptoms I think it's going to be the gauge if the fuel gauge was playing up as well I would have said it was the voltage regulator. In the instrument cluster (later Haynes manual with MOT check section, it’s Item J).

any idea welcome B)

my take is that your timing is out. does the engine rev well? pintso like lots of advance. my pinto with twin 45's & a fast cam is starting with about 18. suggest you advance enough so that it is pinking then wind it back a bit. see also dave andrews web site as he had a lot of info on these subjects. good luck.