Sva And Road Tax

Guest nongrey

Guest nongrey

I bought a 2b back in April. It went through it's SVA in January this year and the road tax has just expired.

From reading the internet a bit, I'm led to believe that as it's gone through an SVA, it doesn't need to be MOT'd for 3 years. How do I get road tax for it though as surely they'll need an MOT certificate. The V5 has the car listed as being first registered in 1990 (when the original Sierra was registered), so that won't help me if I take it to a post office.

Thanks for the help

Guest Daniel Aldridge

Hi Mongrey

Ours was sva'd in February and I taxed it last week without an mot at the post office, It didn't ask for an mot on the form and they didn't query it at the counter.

Danny

I'm with Big Jim on this. Technically (although it has to be said that the DVLA are inconsistant) it goes like this:

If you get a brand new plate (due to using all new parts) it's no MOT for three years. In this case I think you're allowed one reconditioned part.

If you get an age related plate (due to using donor parts from a single vehicle) it's an MOT after one year.

If you get a Q plate (due to using donor parts from numerous vehicles) it's an MOT after one year.

I'm sure Big Jim posted a link or something about all this not that long ago - It made sense to me.

Like I've said though, there are many examples of inconsistency.

I fully expect to be told I need an MOT next May (on the Tax reminder) but if I don't, I don't. :rolleyes:

Standing back now ready to be shot down in flames - again... :rolleyes: :D :D

depends on HOW the local dvla registered it from the start, i didnt need a MOT for three years, but another member who registered there car at the same dvla office 3 months later DID need a MOT after the first year.

If it says on the reminder that you need the MOT certificate then im afraid thats that,

but since you didnt build the car, do you really want to go three years before its checked over?

HTH

Mitch

Guest chris brown
I'm with Big Jim on this. Technically (although it has to be said that the DVLA are inconsistant) it goes like this:

If you get a brand new plate (due to using all new parts) it's no MOT for three years. In this case I think you're allowed one reconditioned part.

If you get an age related plate (due to using donor parts from a single vehicle) it's an MOT after one year.

If you get a Q plate (due to using donor parts from numerous vehicles) it's an MOT after one year.

I'm sure Big Jim posted a link or something about all this not that long ago - It made sense to me.

Like I've said though, there are many examples of inconsistency.

I fully expect to be told I need an MOT next May (on the Tax reminder) but if I don't, I don't. :rolleyes:

Standing back now ready to be shot down in flames - again... :rolleyes: :D :D

Grizzly

It’s even more complicated than that. it would appear that if you have a MOT prior to SVA like lots do it is registered against the VIN on the DVLA computer so when tax is due the reminder comes up with it requiring a MOT (Logic being it has already had one so always requires one). But if you go to SVA not having had the "someone else check MOT" then now you tax it and when the reminder is generated by the DVLA computer it looks like a new car so not required for 3 years.

Well that’s the way I see it working anyway.

okay just to fan the flames abit,

I passed sva, then went for MOT (and failed!!!!) the day after, then went to tax and register the car, still didnt need MOT for three years,

go figure that one !!!!

it all depends on how the rules are interpreted by the person filling in the forms at the reg office yes they all should be a standard process but has lots have found there isnt

Mitch

Guest chris brown
okay just to fan the flames abit,

I passed sva, then went for MOT (and failed!!!!) the day after, then went to tax and register the car, still didnt need MOT for three years,

go figure that one !!!!

it all depends on how the rules are interpreted by the person filling in the forms at the reg office yes they all should be a standard process but has lots have found there isnt

Mitch

May be wrong Mitch but wasn’t that prior the DVLA computer coming on line?

Guest chris brown
Mine needed an MOT after one year. No big deal - remember YOU built the car.... do you really have the confidence to go 3 years without a professional giving it a thorough health check?

Yes Yes :yahoo:

Guest Paul Morgan

I'm confussed !! not at the MOT after 12 or 36 months, more at the date of first registration, if it was only SVA'd this year then it could only be registered with DVLA this year and not in 1990. Mine was SVA'd last september and registered it with the DVLA the week after. My V5 shows date of first registration as september 06 even though I got an age related plate.

Has your car been registered with DVLA as a RH 2B or does your V5 still say sierra ?? If it does then you need to register it with DVLA

Paul

I'm confussed !! not at the MOT after 12 or 36 months, more at the date of first registration, if it was only SVA'd this year then it could only be registered with DVLA this year and not in 1990. Mine was SVA'd last september and registered it with the DVLA the week after. My V5 shows date of first registration as september 06 even though I got an age related plate.

Has your car been registered with DVLA as a RH 2B or does your V5 still say sierra ?? If it does then you need to register it with DVLA

Paul

if it does then it needs a SVA. mine says reg BUILT from parts first reg 2003

mitch

Guest lansledj
I bought a 2b back in April. It went through it's SVA in January this year and the road tax has just expired.

From reading the internet a bit, I'm led to believe that as it's gone through an SVA, it doesn't need to be MOT'd for 3 years. How do I get road tax for it though as surely they'll need an MOT certificate. The V5 has the car listed as being first registered in 1990 (when the original Sierra was registered), so that won't help me if I take it to a post office.

Thanks for the help

Hi i've been in a similar predicament as you so i contacted VOSA and they have confirmed that you need an MOT 3 years after the date of first registration so in my case it was registered july 2006 so MOT is August 2009, however if you MOT before that date then you will need to have an MOT annually after that. My car is on an age related plate as well. I have the confirmation e-mail from VOSAif you want a copy e-mail me at david.lansley@bt.com as the e-mails are on my work PC.

Regards

david