Agm - Constitution

Guest Alan_builder

Guest Alan_builder

Hi All Members, Moderators, Committee & President Elect,

I have some experience with with club management and rather than make suggestions on what we should do will relate the best ideas others have formulated.

A problem often exists to get people to volunteer, as Tim has already found out members will pressureize him to continue.

A fixed period in office often solves this objection. A figure head with a semi / professionals support team may be the solution as below.

How do you keep continuity with ever changing management. -A progression system!

Rotation / progression. A member holds the office for 1 year and then moves to the next automatically, in reverse order.

President

Chairman

Vice Chairman

Editor

Treasurer

Membership Secreterary.

President

At the end of the year the President may be elected to be a Life Vice President. His role is simply to advise the Chairman about ongoing matters when requested or where he feels he can make a contribution by advising the Chairman (often in private). Normally non voting or holding the casting vote @ committee. Able to automatically step into the Chairmans shoes should disaster strike.

Chairman

At the end of the year the Chairman progresses to President. The Chairman's role is to oversee the correct functioning of all the "departments" (sub committees) and chair the Committee meetings. Sets the tone of the clup and selects a priority for future development.

Vice Chairman

At the end of the year the Vice Chairman progresses to Chairman. His role is to sit onGeneral Committee and all the "department committees" and chair the General Committee meetings in the absence of the Chairman. The link role between sub committees and the general committee.

Editor

At the end of the year the Editor progresses to Vice Chairman. His role is to sit on the General Committee and all the "sub department committees" and chair the Editorial Committee, he may better be described as the chief reporter (news gatherer / article chaser). He is supported by a Vice Editor (hopefully the current editor who now has a reporter team and may be elected to be a Life Vice President upon retirement).

Treasurer

At the end of the year the Treasurer progresses to Editor. His role is to sit on the general Committee and all the "sub department committees" and chair the Treasury Committee, he may better be described as the chief fund raiser. He is supported by a Vice Treasurer (hopefully a person with some accounting experience / the current Treasurer who now has a treasurey team and may be elected to be a Life Vice President upon retirement). Obviously duties are to keep true and accurate accounts, appointment of auditors and all things financial.

Membership Secretary

At the end of the year the Membership Secretary progresses to Editor. His role is to sit on the general Committee and chair the Secretarial Committee. He is supported by a Secretary. (THE Secretary is LEGAL INTERFACE OF A CLUB (NOT A MINUTE TAKER) (General correspondence and membership records) (often a paid position and may be elected to be a Life Vice President upon retirement).

As I see it Tim & Sue have done so many of these jobs on their own, or is that all? A structure based on the above would hopefully ensure no officer would be under an overwhelming work load. That our current Editor would have support and +++

The downside is ONE new General Committee Member has to be recruited each year and general members for the subcommittees. (A breeding ground for Committee Members?)

Could you adopt the same structure for the AREAS?

Just thinking of the Newsletter we would have reporters in each Area to feed the national Newsletter.

Where could this web site sit - the Web Master is the permanent member of the Vice Chairmans committee.

Areas could be honing future Web Masters & Chairman.

The club is never stuck with a no hope Chairman or other officer.

I see the big advantage is just how many people you get involved as the 7th Life Vice President now 20 I know it can work.

Would we need the constitution changed?

Prior to letting you all have your say vis my post, my own thoughts and some of yours from posts to Tim:-

Having the local AREA front the Shows is an advantage, it could become the base of an Area challenge for the best show? Also as most of the Kit Car Shows are 2 days each area could have representation both days?

Would this structure provide a better means of distribution; Calendars, News letters even memberships taken to Area meets for distribution - draws members to area meetings to collect?

Change the AGM to Stoneley.

Change the membership year to a rolling one from your joining date - removes the big peak of renewals?

The best Area fund raiser, & the best fund raising event?

The best day out.

The best AREA web site.

The best AREA web post.

The idea of challenges is endless so I will end with just those.

Finally Tim says a younger person to pick up the reigns, so that rules me out.

Alan

I :wub: my RH

Edited by Alan_builder

Having read and agreed with Alan's posting I thought about memberships and how it could be handled.

"Change the membership year to a rolling one from your joining date - removes the big peak of renewals?"

The problem here, as I see it, is that the bulk of renewals will stay at the same time of year until new members outnumber the "old" ones. Also there will be the members who will "push" sorry "forget" their renewal date throughout the following year.

Having one date has the advantage that there is a cut off date that all memberships cease until subs are paid. The non payers loose the benefits on the website and are shown up by having their names shown in the old color. Perhaps the cut off date does not have to be around Christmas.

Proposal (Prepare to be shot down in flames)(Especially by area secs)

The only way to eat an elephant is a bite at a time!

I know how some view data held about themselves but this data could be used to raise funds and therefore be self financing. Manufacturers and Magazines should be interested in buying into one of the biggest car clubs in the country.

If you don't want your details included option to opt out.

Membership Overview

Procure a server or server space for a database of members.

Internet access required to the server.

Only include data that is currently known about members.

Admittance to the server is log on name and password protected.

Memberships to be administered by the Area Secs.

Database to be accessible only by area secs and club administrators.

Area secs will have access only to "Local" members details.

Membership Process.

A National Membership sec will be required.

Membership forms for 2008 are received and processed as per normal.

The database is built up with the membership over the next 12 months.

Every member is assigned to an Area.

There is a National Area for members where a "Local" area is unrealistic.

When renewal is required forms are sent to each member.

Forms are returned to area sec.

Area secs update database with any changes necessary.New members address changes etc.

Subscriptions are paid into RHOCaR bank account.

National Membership Sec balances bank account with receipts from areas.

Possibility of on line renewal

Updating renewed membership accounts on community will be lass labor intensive.

Address labels could be produced centrally for club magazines and promotions.

Members that have not renewed could be removed from the database on an agreed date.

Calendars

This will remain a labor I think, although with an accessible database addressing would be easier.

Guest allenr03

I just want to be able to drive my car, go to a few shows/days out and ask a few questions every now and then!!

I think we should keep the struture simple, if we aren't happy with the Chairman at AGM we can vote him/her out. Clear roles and resposibilities would make sense but they seem to be in place anyway.

Has anyone put their hat in the ring yet? What positions are we looking to fill or is it just the chairman?

Whatever happens the club must go on. I fancy a zero 7 and I'm not sure I could build it without haslin you guys occasionally.

Rich

Alan

I do like the idea that a postion can only be held for a set time poss 2-3 terms.

But the auto moving up the scale I think is wrong as it might put people off doing lesser jobs as they might end up as boss.

I do think the regions can do more at the shows ( A lot I know have their own local shows they support with a Bar B Q and a tent ) so do so all ready.

The member ship could be held on a internet data base. But I think the membership renewal is about right as it stands

the calender " If I can do one again" and new membership can go out in 1 hit ( 2 birds with 1 stone )

If memberships starts and finishes at all times of the year you would never be able to keep up with it.

My 2 p worth

I am putting my hat in the ring to stand on the Committee. :)

To make changes to Constitution you first have to "Get elected and then make the changes for next year " (info I got from TIM )

Stephen

Guest chris brown

I agree with Stephen I think the system you outline Alan is far to complex and would put people off. I like Stephen am putting my hat in the ring as you put it but not as chairman I don’t and would never want it so your system would count me and no doubt others out of doing any thing for the club.

Some people are suited for some jobs. I have already sent my potential beret to Tim but there's no way I have the right sort of personality for chairman. And having an AGM at my house or local in Plymouth might reduce attendance a tad! Bit of a problem for the Scottish area sec to attend!!!

The ideas/sugestions are good, some fit, some don't, all worth considering and the club should pick out the bits of the puzzle that fit our needs.

Nigel

Hi,I've also had some experience of Club management and would like to add my two pennyworth. I think that the Chairmans post being for 1 year is sound but there will be the worry about finding a new Vice Chairman every year.Is continuity important here?

The President should be for life unless the holder decides to step down.This post would not carry any executive responsibilities,but be more of a figurehead.

Surely the Editor,Treasurer and Membership Secretary posts involve the application of members existing skills or interests and should be based on continuity for several years service.The holder of the post could,of course,resign at the AGM or offer their services for the next year.

There also needs to be a committee member responsible for sales of clothing etc including the calendar.

This is a great club and hopefully a way can be found to keep it running in the manner in which we have come to expect from Tim and Sue.

All commitee posts are for one year, its just Tim hasnt had anyone stand against him and hes been re-elected every year.

area secs have access to member lists,some but not all have meets and runs out,and all members recive a list of local members who they can contact for meets and such, all this talk of how to elect and how long to stand isnt finding the club a new chairman.

anyone can organise a run,a show or a weeked away, you dont need to be a area sec, I (as many of the NWest lot will tell you) I encourage all to do a bit, we all have lives beyond the club scene, its our club give as much as you can,

if we could lighten the load for the commitee it would be great, (which is what some of those coming forward seem to be doing),

subs are best done from Jan,reminders in the mag, the club has worked this way for years, agm and election details are in the mags, why alter something that is great and works well

Just MY opinion

Mitch

I'm in complete agreement with Mitch. Never tinker with something that works.

What is required is Tim's successor, be it one person, or split between several. Please do not start again with the clean sheet of paper approach...........too many examples of today's management styles totally screwing up perfectly good businesses simply because that HAVE to change it all around.

I get good support from my area members in organising runs and shows...........it has to be that way because I cannot get to all of them due to work rota. There are some good, willing people in this club, lets see what comes forward in the nominations. The ones who are sincere enough to stand, can decide if or how they want to share the work round.

Guest allenr03

Me too, keep it simple.

So, who's up for it?

No one has openly put their hat in the ring yet. I'd love to but couldn't commit the time, I only managed a couple of shows this year. I'd be happy to help out though at a local level if needed.

Rich

Guest Alan_builder
I'm in complete agreement with Mitch. Never tinker with something that works.

What is required is Tim's successor, be it one person, or split between several. Please do not start again with the clean sheet of paper approach...........too many examples of today's management styles totally screwing up perfectly good businesses simply because that HAVE to change it all around.

I get good support from my area members in organising runs and shows...........it has to be that way because I cannot get to all of them due to work rota. There are some good, willing people in this club, lets see what comes forward in the nominations. The ones who are sincere enough to stand, can decide if or how they want to share the work round.

Hi again, All Members, Moderators, Committee & President Elect, & John of course,

This may surprise some of you but not my Area Secretary; John, I tend to agree with much of what has been said subsequent to my post. However I also believe we have a mountainous task on our hands to find a replacement for Tim & Sue.

From reading Tim’s resignation address / job description the work load looks like 4 any ordinary soles to me. That I think is a multi facet problem.

Now we all have the MOT thing for our cars, we may do a pre MOT inspection or go in cold, if it fails we fix it. So I do agree if it isn’t bust don’t fix it, BUT we do test it and that is what I am driving at with the “AGM-Constitution”. It was fine with Tim at the wheel but will it do / suffice with a new man or men (or women) in place?

So first find the Constitution and play the “what if” game. The Thames valley has had a couple of members come close to a cataclysm regarding health issue, so “what if” the lightning struck the Chairman? Are there systems in place or could there be near anarchy with 700 different agenda?

So let me look at the Constitution and the Committee members, oh all I can find is this on the web pages (http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?autocom=ibwiki&cmd=article&id=4)

Welcome to the unofficial website for the Robin Hood Owners Club and Register (RHOCaR). Myself, Tim Norman, Peter Knight and Graham Holdway, run the Club on a voluntary basis. Peter and Graham look after the magazine and the social events respectively. I look after the rest! A network of national Area Secretaries, who also offer their services on a voluntary basis, supports us. (I am sure it’s the official not the unofficial web site?).

Now quoting from John “What is required is Tim's successor, be it one person, or split between several.” And of course I agree, but what do you call them Chairman 1, Chairman 2, Chairman 3 etc or something else and does the constitution allow for this?

One fact that puzzles is no one has been back and pointed me in the direction of the Constitution for my answers!

On a practical front I think three hats have been thrown in the ring so there is a good chance there will be an election. How are the candidates going to canvas for our votes? How do we vote, only by attending the AGM or a postal vote? If new positions are created surely they need to be created prior to the election and then filled so an EGM (Extra Ordinary General Meeting) will be needed?

Just taking you back to Mat-d-rat posting;-

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?show...mp;#entry144193

and quoting;-

“The question is, where do we go from here? Unless someone steps up for the job the club will in effect cease to be. Not something I would like to see happen!”.

(I agree)

“So "Have you got the balls?" The club NEEDS volunteers to run local events, areas secretary's and a new leader.”.

(and the magazine needs articles).

Ok you may see me as rocking the boat but at least I have the balls!

I will continue to support my Area Secretary –John and arrange days out vis the Photo shoot on 29th December (of course all welcome). It is up to you the members to decide who becomes the new Chairman and the state of health or otherwise of our Constitution by a general Meeting?

Alan