Steering Support, Some Movement.

Snapperpaul

On my series 3a the steering column is held by a simple squared off hoop and the steering bearing at the bulk head.

There is a little movement left to right and i am concerned that this may be a SVA failier, if so what have others done to add extra support to this area.

I do have the original plate and arms that came of the donor but this will need radical modification probable after i have done my welding course.

On my series 3a the steering column is held by a simple squared off hoop and the steering bearing at the bulk head.

There is a little movement left to right and i am concerned that this may be a SVA failier, if so what have others done to add extra support to this area.

I do have the original plate and arms that came of the donor but this will need radical modification probable after i have done my welding course.

mine failed sva too much play on top support of the colmn

tester said there must be no play and very little flex at the top

support I had to use 3mm plate to strengthen mine up

The bulkhead bush. Iv fitted lots to sierras and new ones are

not much better than the one taken out

I'd look to see where the play actually is, and at a guess it will be at the bulk end. We just did a group buy on a much better bearing (as shown on the NW site

I fitted that modification 2 years ago, so no problem there.

It is definately the top hoop which is bolted to the chassis top rail and transmission tunnel side, looks like i will have to brace it.

mine has the same problem with the movement at the top end. it seems the supplied bracket from rh is too thin and flexes too easily. i rememeber hearing a while ago that this was fine as it improved the chances of the steering column folding out the way during a crash. maybe this isn't the case now so i'm going to make a new bracket from 3mm plate and see if that stiffens it up sufficiently.

ste