Chassis Number

Guest Guy

Hi Gents,

Well the time is looming near to SVA and registration, first of all I need a chassis number to stick on the car and all the application forms.

How do I get a chassis number these days? My last car was finished 4 years ago and I know that things change ;)

Guest peter2b2002

depends where you go for your build up inspection (pre sva test), i did mine at Northampton where they like to usue a chassis No to you, they told me the dvla like to keep them in order, other folk have made the up, follow the threads for more info

pete2b

Hi Guy,

For whatever reason, I had my SVA done before the BUI.

Anyway, I rang the SVA station at Beverly and asked if I could make up my own - They said yes.

Afterwards, when I went to Leeds DVLA, they didn't seem to be bothered about the fact that the car had already got a number.

I guess if you go for BUI before SVA though, the DVLA may insist that they provide you with one.

One thing's for sure, they all have their own rules eh?

I made mine up before SVA (june 2007) and then went to the dvla after to do all the legal bits. Mine is therefore

my initials-DOB-year of start-year of finish with a few x's in between to pad it out to the required 17 letters/numbers

:)

make sure it is either stamped into the chassis or welded onto a plate on the chassis, i only had it on a riveted panel to start with and they wouldnt allow it as too easily removed.

Edited by agent_zed

Guest gavinc

we were supplied with a chassis no. from robin hood

with the superspec kit we collected in oct 05 SSP10058888888***

came supplied on a pre stamped ally plate

have used that on all paperwork so it can be traced back to RH/GBSC

riveted the ally plate to the dash but also stamped a piece of steel

and welded it to the chassis

i believe the chassis itself is to hard to stamp properly..

and by doing it on a separate plate you can have a few attempts to get it right...

Well I phoned DVLA and they said that VOSA issued the chassis numbers, I phoned VOSA and they said that DVLA issued the chassis numbers :lol:

I'll just create my own, after all, I am the manufacturer of the car ;)

Guest chris brown
Well I phoned DVLA and they said that VOSA issued the chassis numbers, I phoned VOSA and they said that DVLA issued the chassis numbers :lol:

I'll just create my own, after all, I am the manufacturer of the car ;)

Just remember there are at least two letters that cannot be used (I and O come to mind). my chassis number contains my name but the o is a 0 (zero). I originally applied for RH2BCBROWN2002103 and when it came through it had been changed and also had a short note (hand written) explaining the change. So DVLA can be helpful sometimes.

Guest chris brown
That's a good point Chris, I'll stay clear of all the letters that were never used for number suffixes i.e. I O Q U Z

Z can be used as all you with VW's should know as there VIN starts WVWZZZ at least it used to dont know about now