Aldon Distributor

Guest smegheadsteve

Guest smegheadsteve

Hi chaps.

Just been quoted over £300 for a dizzy(£200)ignitor elec ign(£80)and a coil(£40) from Aldon because I am fitting motorbike carbs on my 2.0 pinto robin.

Carbs are gsxr600 and manifold from KNN,so there is no vac adv.

Its injection at the moment with electronic ign.

Is this my only option or is there another route?

Cheers.

Steve.

You can get instant sparks for £20 from the scrappy. Search out a sierra inductive ignition dizzy and amplifier as shown in the picture. They come from 82-85 2L cars. The dizzy is Bosch and has mechanical, vac advance and a large round rubber three wire plug. The amplifier is motopart and has six wires. Only two wires go from it into the mating part of the three terminal round plug to the dizzy.

You then have a little work to do in improving the advance curve, removing the vacuum mechanism and fixing the base plate but advice on this is on the NW Hoodies site. Not difficult but it is cheap.

Nigel

Guest smegheadsteve

Are these dizzys common or will i struggle to find one?

When i had KNN build the manifold i got an outlet put onto each of the four inlet pipes,i was thinking of using these for brakes,would it work for dizzy vac adv do you think?

Steve.

megajolt £80

scrappy bits 25

wheel, and bracket 15

totally adjustable :D

my manifold also has 4 tappings

have plumbed them all together

seems to have good vac on it

moves the dizzy at idle

Went out and bought two dizzys and one amplifier locally today for total £25. Didn't get to the best breaker who has piles of proper old cars and strips them, rather than just cutting the engines and gearboxes out like the in town big breakers. So yes, easy to find. (Mind you I can't be sure the amp works but they are pretty reliable!)

Nigel

I've got Megajolt on mine as has Niduncan well worth a look at that as an option and you get fully mappable 3D and depending which version ( V2 board or V3) now capable of swap on the fly dual map (V2 needs some soldering on the board, V3 needs a switch and a resistor)

Guest smegheadsteve

Thanks guys,got a better idea what i'm doing now.

Don't know what megajolt is so probably give that a miss for now.

If anyone has a dizzy and amp spare I would be interested.

Will i need a different coil?

How will i know if i am getting the correct vac from inlet manifold?Surely this is a correct science and dizzy has to be adjusted to suit vac,or am i missing something!

Is it a better option to send it away to be converted?

Steve.

with a standard injection cam i guess the normal carbed dizzy wouldnt be too far off in advance characteristics

nigel will prob have somthing to say on this :rolleyes:

the plumbing together of the vac tappings isnt that bad, just need coupling together, will try to find a pic of how its done on my bike carbs tomorrow

I think it would be OK to plumb all four inlets into a small plenum and then have a takeoff from this to the vacuum if you want to run it. However it does not have major effects on power but might improve fuel consumption. Plumbed as pic below on my throttle bodies.(No that I used the vac )

If you are putting together a smart setup then send them off to bestek to be cleaned up, modded and tested. You could have the sierra dizzy and amp I found today for the £15 they cost me plus postage. I can't say they definitely work as they are untested. Might be sensible to wait for Dave to free up his spares.

Nigel

Guest salty_monk

I ran an Aldon dizzy with no Vac advance & A DGAS. My new car is same spec apart from it has stock dizzy with vac advance. It makes about 8mpg difference on a run!!

Dan :)