Propshaft Bolts

Guest Bazwaz

I have now fitted my new BGH gearbox and uprated prop. The prop has bigger ujs and a thicker flange which leaves my original bolts a couple of mm shorter than i would like. Does anyone know where i can obtain longer ones? i have tried my local supplier without success. I think the originals are M10x1.0x18 10.9 strength.

Barry

Hi Dave

The original ones have a thread length of 18mm so just a couple of mm longer will do. At the moment they sit just about flush but would prefer to have a couple of threads showing through.

Regards Barry

Guest erichetherington

Barry,

Been a while since I fitted them but I have no worries about using them, I'm sure they were right strength. Only found them because at the time I'd taken to carrying an original with me at all time in case I had a chance to look for some!

Eric

So i guess 10.9 are stronger than 8.8 bolts ? so it is ok to use 10.9's to replace 8.8's ?

An interesting thing i was told by an engineer was that if a bolt is screwed in 1.5x the width of the bolt the threads are as strong as it is ever going to be even if you screwed it in further. well i thought it was interesting ^_^ ....

Metric Class Marks on Head Material Tensile Strength Yield Strength

N/mm2 psi N/mm2 psi

8.8 8.8 Steel 800 116,000 640 93,000

10.9 10.9 Steel 1040 151,000 940 136,000

12.9 12.9 Alloy Steel 1220 177,000 1100 160,000

A2-70 A2-70 302 Stainless 700 102,000 450 65,000

A4-80 A4-80 316 Stainless 800 116,000 600 87,000

still can't get it to format correctly and it won't let me attach the spreadsheet :unknw:

An interesting thing i was told by an engineer was that if a bolt is screwed in 1.5x the width of the bolt the threads are as strong as it is ever going to be even if you screwed it in further.

Thats what I was taught too B)