L/w Rear Shock Mount

Guest JNS

Guest ScotMac
Hi Scot,

My ball joints don't look anything like Grahams. My joints have a flange on the bottom with three bolt holes that fit perfectly to my lower a arm and pinto spindle You can call Jim and ask him what he sent me. Just kidding.

REGARDS JOE

Actually, other removing the "pinto" word in the middle there, that is exactly a description of the balljoints that come standard w/ the l/w kit. However, you said it looks nothing like Grahams...so, *your* three bolt holes are not like the equal spaced ones, like the picture i linked to for Graham's build? Can you put up a picture? If you have trouble putting it up, just email it to me, and i'll put it up (scotmac@gmail.com).

In the meantime, maybe we can figure out which ones came w/ the standard l/w kit. Graham or anyone else, do you know? In fact, i remember i brought up this same question when i was trying to figure out what taper i needed for my raceleda replacement upright stuff. And, i don't remember for sure, but i don't think we figured out what vehicle the balljoints were from!! :o :blink: :wacko: :(

I'll look back.

-Scot :D

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ScotMac

Oh, yeah, i remember now. Richard (from RH/GBS) said that he had no idea what the balljoint came from. He said he just asked the supplier to match the Sierra taper w/ something that bolted on, instead of screwing on to the wishbone, like the 2b did. Richard, could you check w/ your supplier?

-Scot

Guest Ad_W2001

Its not a brilliant image, but you can see the three-bolt pattern of the lower ball joint that I was given in my kit:

32.jpg

Unfortunately I cant go and look for the part number of it as im at uni, but maybe this will help a tiny bit.

Adam,

I think the bolt holes shown in the yellow wishbone are for Mk 3-5 Cortina ball joints. Dimensions between holes 35.5mm and 55mm.

Some part numbers.

QH Part Number QSJ663S

AP Part Number TC73

Moprod Part Number MBJ663

Unipart Part Number GSJ123

Moprod Part Number MBJ663

Firstline Part Number FBJ5025

Nigel

Guest DoLittle52

Locost Top Ball Joint -- Transit 1965 to 84 Drag Link End Right Hand Thread

Ford Part Number :17996516

QH (Quinton Hazel) Part Number QD1117RHT

AP (Automotive Products) Part Number TA298

Moprod Part number MDL1117R

Heyd Part Number F22.73

Lemforder Part Number 000.111.017.536

Redaelli Part Number F35

TRW Part Number 15ES0874

TVA Part Number F7.1

Unipart Part Number GSJ112

Frap Part Number 168

Ehreneich Part Number 022-8146-134-291

Guest DoLittle52

The Cortina lower ball joint sold by Lolocost and the lower ball joint used by the lightweight are apparently different as is the lower ball joint recommended by Patent.

The ball joint used by the Lightweight apparently has three mounting holes and the Cortina ball joint appears to have two mounting holes.

Well I have been led astray and tried to confuse you. Sorry. What I have are obviously not cortina bottom ball joints and the numbers I listed don't refer to them. They are cortina ball joint numbers I believe. That doesn't help a lot as I now don't know what I have, except they came from GBS and probably fit a lightweight bottom wishbone.

Nigel

Guest ScotMac
Well I have been led astray and tried to confuse you. Sorry. What I have are obviously not cortina bottom ball joints and the numbers I listed don't refer to them. They are cortina ball joint numbers I believe. That doesn't help a lot as I now don't know what I have, except they came from GBS and probably fit a lightweight bottom wishbone.

Nigel

No Nigel, that picture is exactly correct. However, i don't know about the numbers. If the numbers are for the cortina/maxi stuff the locosters/mnr/... use, then the picture Chuck got is correct, and they don't match what we got w/ the L/W. I was hoping your stuff was correct, and it was a different "mark" cortina from what the locosters use.

Is the cortina MK 3-5 stuff what the locosters use? EDITED: Yes, the mk3,4 cortina stuff *is* what the locosters use, and thus not what Nigel has. Nigel, how did you get l/w balljoints?

If so, does anyone know what car the lower ball joint that Nigel put up is for???

Note, even if we do find out what it is for, there is *ALSO* the problem of whether it will fit the pinto uprights. Joe, you say you DID get the standard l/w lower balljoint, and you fitted it to the pinto uprights. The taper was correct? Or did you have to ream the upright/spindle hole?

-Scot :)

Edited by ScotMac

Scot,

My fault, the ball joints that longboader shows are what i have, i took my joints apart and found that the guy that was helping me that day made a tappered shim to fit the pinto spindles. the number on the bottom is 3105, thats the only marking that i can find. Again i am sorry. Are there any better shock bushings then what we get with the kit?

Regards joe

Guest ScotMac
Scot,

My fault, the ball joints that longboader shows are what i have, i took my joints apart and found that the guy that was helping me that day made a tappered shim to fit the pinto spindles. the number on the bottom is 3105, thats the only marking that i can find. Again i am sorry. Are there any better shock bushings then what we get with the kit?

Regards joe

Yeah, the RH supplied bushings are sheet. If you look thru my threads, i started one on exactly that topic. Here, i found it, but it isn't really any help (oh, and i don't believe elwe is correct. i believe the bushes are unique to the l/w):

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?show...spension+bushes

The only ones i found are these from superflex. But they are slightly off from what we need:

Superflex has tophat style (like ours) poly bushes for a TVR 'M' series (part SPF1720) which appear

to have just about exactly the right geometry. Only problem is they will require a custom crush tube.

I am negotiating w/ Chris from superflex about the price for doing the custom tube run. If any of the

hordes ;) of l/w owners want to make this a group purchase, it might reduce the price a bit.

I actually convinced them to send me one. I take a look and see how far off it is.

Guest ScotMac
Scot,

Regards joe

That's what i figured. That the taper was not quite right. Rather than shimming the taper, a better method might be to ream it out to a straight slot (no taper) and then doing a sleeve to the exact right taper. ie, a sleeve w/ the "straight" slot on one side and the pinto taper on the other. The sleeve would be done w/ a "hat" on top, to help handle the load on it, and keep it from sliding.

Edited by ScotMac