Robin Hood Caterham Chassis Photo Help

Guest RH CAT 7

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RH CAT 7

its a true monocoque, it takes caterham susp, rack ect width is 39" and came from robin hood. who ever made it had a gift for folding sheet !

What is it made of? Mild, stainless or ally sheet.

When Robin Hood initially introduced the lightweight it was going to be offered in these three materials but then was reduced to just ally. This one might just be the mild steel demo chassis if one was ever made. RH did have considerable expertise in folding sheet.

It was never intended to have any crossover to Caterham parts and any suggestion of that from RH would have fielded a lawsuit PDQ.

Nigel

Guest ScotMac

Exactly. Maybe that's why the lightweight has soo many "here's how you fold/bend the aluminum to make this part" moments in the build/video. Because they were adapting from stainless steel monocoque chassis.

my 3 pennies

dash looks to be cateringvan as i have a dash blank here that is almost the same.

the rear end has toooooo much box section to be a car , i mean a car that can be used looks more lie a prototype. in that i cant work out how the sus would work as there is no room for the wishbones to opperate, the box that appeare to support the rear body work are in the way of the sus opperating .

again what material is it made from ?

dont look like s7 mono .

dont look like lightweight mono.

so me stumped.

just looked again

the engine bay top folds are about the right size for a lightweight or an s7.

however the top of the cockpit folds are verrrrrry small and dont match an s7 or lightweight.

however it does appear to be an rs creation as there are definite similarities to other designs.

Guest RH CAT 7

rear susp good old live axel or de dion tube, both use caterham setup of A frame and top radius arms . i suspect it was built for de dion as tunnel seems to be center of the car.

Guest ScotMac
just looked again

the engine bay top folds are about the right size for a lightweight or an s7.

however the top of the cockpit folds are verrrrrry small and dont match an s7 or lightweight.

however it does appear to be an rs creation as there are definite similarities to other designs.

That's what i was thinking. The front end, with those two strips across the top, and the top of the engine bay sides, and the top of the back (where the roll bar mounts), all look very similar to a l/w.

rear susp good old live axel or de dion tube, both use caterham setup of A frame and top radius arms . i suspect it was built for de dion as tunnel seems to be center of the car.

but with that bottom bar i cant see how it would move,even with a live rear end. on the lightweight the position of that bottom box section would foul the sus movement completley.

Guest RH CAT 7
but with that bottom bar i cant see how it would move,even with a live rear end. on the lightweight the position of that bottom box section would foul the sus movement completley.

the same way all lotus 7 , caterham, westfied ect work, the axel travels up inside, trust me it works. you put the axel through the hole. dont think of this of a LW.

Just come in from the garage and here is another pic. It's all folded stainless. I'm wondering if this was some sort of a prototype RH from the early days. Maybe before the barrel back when tricky was starting up and he may have had a Cateringvan to play with.

Nigel

Guest ScotMac
Just come in from the garage and here is another pic. It's all folded stainless. I'm wondering if this was some sort of a prototype RH from the early days. Maybe before the barrel back when tricky was starting up and he may have had a Cateringvan to play with.

Nigel

On the "l/w was designed based on it" front, that engine bay, scuttle, and especially the front of the scuttle shelf looks again very similar to a l/w.

Edited by ScotMac