Tips Needed

Guest keith12

Guest keith12

I am replacing my rear panel on my 2b to accommodate super spec grp wings, as they sit lower the rivet holes are exposed on my existing panel.

As i never built the car and do not have any vids can anyone advise me on the best way to bend the s/s and the sequence to fitting to the car and all the pitfalls to look out for. I have searched the forum but cant find all the information needed all i do know is that it is a fiddly job to do.

Thanks Keith

Guest chris brown
I am replacing my rear panel on my 2b to accommodate super spec grp wings, as they sit lower the rivet holes are exposed on my existing panel.

As i never built the car and do not have any vids can anyone advise me on the best way to bend the s/s and the sequence to fitting to the car and all the pitfalls to look out for. I have searched the forum but cant find all the information needed all i do know is that it is a fiddly job to do.

Thanks Keith

If I remember correctly Keith it isn’t to hard a job. The hardest bit is bending the top edge round the chassis rail as you have to loose some material on the corners but if you just keep lightly tapping it round it does eventually take up a reasonable shape but will never be an even distance around the chassis but the boot end panels cover this. If you could borrow the CD from someone it would be a great help (someone must have one hint hint)

Guest Alan_builder
If I remember correctly Keith it isn’t to hard a job. The hardest bit is bending the top edge round the chassis rail as you have to loose some material on the corners but if you just keep lightly tapping it round it does eventually take up a reasonable shape but will never be an even distance around the chassis but the boot end panels cover this. If you could borrow the CD from someone it would be a great help (someone must have one hint hint)

For the novice this is best described as a 3 hammer job, 2 big ones and a 1.5 lb. The big ones are used to stop the panel coming out either side of current outcrop point which you are going to bash back towards the tube. Its a matter of moving the 2 big hammers to the side of the next bump and thwacking it with the 1.5Lb job.

By the time you have made 2 cars you can do it with 2 hammers. (obviously 3 hammers is a 2 man job).

Ok I spent a year as a mechanical fitter and not satisfied with just this bit on the corners I rolled the bottom of my dashboard the same way all 19mm of it.

Lessons can be arranged for £100/hour :rolleyes:

I :wub: my :rhsc:

The only reason for beating & cussing the top edge over is to hide the rivets--why not leave the top edge upright & level with top of tube--very neatly rivet where panel touches tube (straight line-even spaces from centre ) much easier to do & no risk of mis-bent panel--fibre-glass top sections will cover raw edge but then I like to see the rivets. :huh:

Guest keith12
Is this info any good.

http://nw.rhocar.org/wheel%20arch.htm

Barry

looked at this but its not what i am looking for as i will fit full grp wings. its just the knowledge i need for the rear panel, thanks.

As for the dvd as mentioned elswhare give me a pm, if i could borrow it that would be great thanks. Orv even better sell me a copy :D

Hi Keith

i'm on with the same job... however i did build the car 5 year's ago.

The best place to start is with taking the back pannel off the car. it will give you a good idea of where the bend's are ...

the pannel bending sequence is as follows

the bottom edge bent at 90 degrees - a good way of doing this is to g clamp the pannel between a workmate and a piece of wood ligning up with the bottom edge of the pannel and using a rubber mallet to bend the pannel. get's you a crisp corner

next comes the fold that fit's into the top chassy rail near the top . you need to look on the bottom edge of the pannel for 2 notches. drasw a line between the one closest to the edge of the pannel and the u shape cut out. clamp the pannel along the line and bend by hand.

next comes the bend around the sides.... draw a line from the notch in the bottom pannel at 90 degrees to the top of the pannel. The best way of bending this is to place the pannel on a flat surface - make sure these are no bit's underneeth that could ding the pannel - the front room carpet is a good surface if the wife is out!!!

you need to gently pull the pannel towards you keeping the drawn line in the centre of the curve. It doe'sn't take much....

when you present the pannel start attaching from the bottom using pop rivets or screws into the bottom rail.

next move to the top rail.

the other guy's comments are spot on....

on little trick i've used is to g clamp the pannel to the top rail to get a snug fit and start to planish over from the centre of the straigt section.

once you've got a few fastners into the top of the pannel move to the sides and again use g clamps to get the pannel nice and tight to the top rail.

the corners are a swine and i will be relieing on my back pannel to cover the little ding i'ver put in at the top

hey ho hope this helps. if not send me a PM with your contact details and i'll give you a call

cheers

C

Keith,

I got the build videos that came with my 2B - think I've only got 3 of the 4 videos (in magnificent VHS format) so I don't know if these cover what you're after but you're more than happy to have a look through them if you think they'd be any help. I've had a quick look at them myself - admittedly more for amusement than anything else as I seem to be spending most of my time re-doing someone elses previous attempts at everything. I got a spare pair of hands too if you think you need help but sadly they're not available weekends, only weeknights.

Rich

Guest keith12

Thanks for the offer Rich but i am going to give it a go with the information i now have, plus i have the old rear as a guide,

Any mistakes and another £70 so i will be very careful.

Hi Keith,

If you can hang on a couple of days, drop me a PM with your address and I will send you a copy of my build DVD with the rear panel fitting.

I have been in the process of building a Super Spec for nearly 4 years now and have fitted the rear panel. There are also 2 bracing brackets that fit at the bottom rear of the panel that aren't fully explained in the video, surprise surprise, they are sort of diamond shaped.

Cheers

Al