Why The Bell-shaped Thing At The Type 9 Gearbox Earthing Point?

peter_m7uk

Just wondering aloud.. What's the bell-shaped metal thing all about at the earthing

point on a Type9 box? I was wondering whether to keep it, but it's so odd that it

must have a purpose?! Is it something to do with static arcing from the gearbox,

otherwise I haven't a clue! :blink:

Pete :D

Guest ScotMac

Does anyone have a pic of it? I am not using a type 9, but i would like to get an idea of the method for general tranny mounting knowledge.

Cheers, -Scot :)

No picture but not terribly complex. The rear of the gearbox has a single mounting which consists of a metal plate with an oblong hole in it (3"x2" ish?) which is bolted to the chassis/floorpan. Into this hole is bonded a rubber mount (with another metal component dead centre). A bolt goes vertically up through this and into the gearbox. There's a washer between the bolt head and the rubber part. If the rubber fails then the gearbox can't go too far downwards as it won't fit down through the hole. However the bolt would be able to come up through the hole and leave the engine and box connected solely by the two engine-mounts - this would allow the rear end of the box and the prop-shaft to thrash around a fair amount (not good). So..... Ford made a washer that looks sort of like a bell. The bolt goes through it before the rubber mount and into the gearbox. The wide end of the "bell" is downwards and below the mount but won't fit through it if the rubber fails. Net result is that if the rubber fails completely the rear end of the box can only move an inch or two in any direction before metal meets metal and prevents it from going any further.

_____ Gearbox

> < Mount with rubber centre

/\ "Bell" shaped washer.

Sort of like this - assuming the spacing doesn't get messed up. A bolt then goes up through the whole lot.

Iain

Guest ScotMac

Oh, i see. It is really just a normal rubber mount, but the bell shaped piece gives u a bit more piece of mind, in terms of a failure.

Cheers, -Scot

Guest old_timbo

When I had my through hedge experience I came to an abrupt halt. The Pinto and Type 9 didn't stop quite so fast! I had the standard Pinto engine mounts and gearbox mount. The engine mounts allowed quite a lot of movement so the main 'stop' was provided by the gearbox mount; this is quite soft until the bell washer contacts the side of the metal box around the rubber. However all three mounts were bent. During the rebuild I replaced the gearbox mount with a Westfield one (Longboarders suggestion) which is much stiffer and more compact (better ground clearance). Required fabrication of some new chassis mounts, which have yet to be tested, but be will in the next couple of weeks, when I'm finally back on the road.

Tim