Rear Subframe Mounting Issue And Sva

Guest tegwin

Guest tegwin

I have an old 2b (the one with sliding pillar)....

Finaly took it to SVA thismorning and one of the failure points was that the examiner was not happy with the way that the rear subframe is mounted....

I have the locating bolt on the diff and the two large bolts going through the rubber bushes on the subframe into the flat plate underneath the seats.... But apparently he doesnt think this is strong enough...

What have others done about this problem?

He said he would like to see it strengthened, and would also like to see proof that I have done it as per "RHs" instructions...

Does anyone have any diagrams or explanations of how the rear subframe assembly is "supposed" to be attached so I can make the alterations and then go back to MR SVA with proof that its strong enough?

Guest SEgan

Sorry to hear your news, sounds like bad luck.

Is this the first 2B this SVA man has seen? Can he politely be ‘encouraged’ to speak to some colleagues or other SVA centres that have passed 2B’s. The standard method of mounting has been accepted everywhere else.

Can you take the Videos in?

Good luck

Sean

Guest craig030774

all the 2b have same rear end as sliding pillar i did it rh way with an aditional bolt and all was ok , have just made and fitted a large stainless disc with a m12 bolt drilled and tapped then welded in to replace the ford big washer gives more ground clearance

Guest mark kingston

on the build video it has an additional bolt put in in the box section part near the rubber mount. it tells you to cut a hole to allow the head of the bolt to go through the bottow wall and bolt up against the upper wall and then to make a cover to go over the hole to prevent crap getting in and causing rusting.

i did mine as per the above and mine passed sva ok but that was back in 2001.

for mine i used the rubber bush holes and 2 extra bolts behind each side and welded the handbrake angle to the subframe which then was bolted to the floor and tunnel as well as bolts for the handrake and seatbelt mountings. This provides extra support for the subframe.

hth

Guest chris brown
Here's a pic of mine taken from directly underneath.

That’s a nice clean cut hole Grizzly You didn’t follow Richards instructions. He said to drill a 10mm hole through both sides and then using a hammer and cold chisel enlarge the lower hole so as to get the bolt head through. :yahoo:

BTW Tegwin you don’t say if you have the second bolts fitted if not then this may be all the tester requires you to do as there has been hundreds of 2B through SVA and I don’t think this fail point has ever been reported on here before.

if i did mine again i would weld a round plate where the rubber should be and drill through this

it wouldnt ground out on the bolts as they would be in the hole where the rubber was

have you any photo's to prove that its also located on the trailing arm bolts as well????

Guest tegwin

Chears for the input all!

I dont have that second bolt, fitted, but curiously the hole is already drilled...so looks like I need to fit the bolt...

Dave-R....Good bloody point! When he asked me how the subframe was attached I completely forgot to mention that the trailing arms are bolted through the chassis members as well....

Does anyone have any decent photos showing how everything is bolted together?

If I can get enough photos together I will draw a sketch and then post it to him to allow him to consider the issue.....Save me hacking and smacking stuff that doesnt need adjusting...

He also picked up on the rear shock mounts....where the shock tube slides up into the chassis tube he said he wants evidence that there is a crush tube inside to prevent the tube compressing....a relativley easy fix, but one that seems a bit odd...

Guest bmurphy

I haven't SVA'd my 2B yet but am just reworking that area to get the seats in, so can confirm there are 2 bolts to fit. One goes through the big metal cone from underneath and through where a tube on the sub frame locates into a hole on the chassis. On mine I just replaced the top metal cone with a piece of flat iron bar after grinding down the locating tube to be flush with the chassis plate. The other bolt goes through a hole you make in the outer skin of the de-dion subframe up through the chassis and floor pan. On the photo from underneath the hole on mine looks triangular.

post-650-1205965249_thumb.jpg

post-650-1205965243_thumb.jpg

Guest tegwin

Agh...ok..

So looks like I can just add that second bolt and perhaps rethink the way the main bolt is fitted......Then just need to satisfy Mr SVA that its cosher....hmm...

A couple of pics of the beast taken in todays sunshine

IMG_6239copy.jpg

IMG_6237copy.jpg

That’s a nice clean cut hole Grizzly You didn’t follow Richards instructions. He said to drill a 10mm hole through both sides and then using a hammer and cold chisel enlarge the lower hole so as to get the bolt head through. :yahoo:

Yes, shame on me for not following Richard's instructions eh?

It's surpising what you can do with a drill instead of a cold chisel eh? :rofl:

He also picked up on the rear shock mounts....where the shock tube slides up into the chassis tube he said he wants evidence that there is a crush tube inside to prevent the tube compressing....a relativley easy fix, but one that seems a bit odd...

What???? !!! Surely that's overkill.

I'm pretty sure no SVA Examiner has required something like that before - Strewth :unknw: :spiteful: